Clickers, Do you use them?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Lokitns, May 19, 2013.

1. Lokitns

Lokitns Member

Hey guys! First post and I was wondering, I've seen clickers on a few of the dog training shows, and at my local behavior classes. But I was wondering have you ever used them instead of as a reward sound, as an attention grabber? I have 3 pups, and one of our smallest has trouble listening, and responding to our calls/attempts to get his attention. Thanks in advance!

Lokitns, May 19, 2013
  2. Lokitns

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never tried using clickers - the sound of it is just too annoying. What works the best, are treats. My Homer would do anything to get something delicious. When he was a puppy, he had trouble responding to my calls too, just like your dog. I was rewarding him every time when he reacted to my calling - and he learned pretty quickly how beneficial it is to be obedient. I hope this will help.

claudine, May 19, 2013
  3. Lokitns

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Hi Lokitns. Welcome to the forum. :)
    I've never seen these clickers used so thought to google. I think I would have to agree with claudine and say the sound is a bit annoying but it is an interesting method.

argon_0, May 24, 2013
  4. Lokitns

TheBrit Active Member

Never heard of clickers, in my day the silent dog whistle was the thing to use. Again how effective these were I have no idea. Personally tone of voice has always worked for me, combined with some loving pats and treats. A pup will quickly learn from the tone of voice whether things are good or bad.

TheBrit, Jun 5, 2013
  5. Lokitns

zararina Well-Known Member

I am actually new to it and I think I would not use it as I do not find the sound fine. Though it is still interesting to watch how it is being used for dog training.

zararina, Jun 22, 2013
  6. Lokitns

trishgl Well-Known Member

I don't use one because you can't have it with you all the time. If my dog gets too used to it what would happen if I did not have it in my pocket at a time when I needed my dog to obey me? Anyway dog's have great hearing, they'll notice you without the clicker. Other dog owners or trainer who use clickers who are in the vicinity could cause my dog to get confused. That being said I think my voice and behavior will do.

trishgl, Jun 27, 2013
Ask a Question