Chasing the Tail

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Pocs, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of you have seen your little guys or gals at any given time running in circles, at what seems to look like they are chasing their tails. If witnessed this with my own boys. What may be the cause of this? Should they be stopped from doing so?

Pocs, Aug 3, 2012
  2. Pocs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

One reason which I have noticed is that, sometimes, they get itchy somewhere at the back near the base of the tail. So what they actually wanted to do was to get at the itch and ended up turning round and round.

Victor Leigh, Aug 3, 2012
  3. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

I never saw my Lab do this. But, my Jack Russell is a champion at tail chasing. LOL She will spin in one direction, then stop, turn, and spin the other direction. She will spin so many times that sometimes she'll get a little dizzy. Her eyes will be a little bit goofy and she has to sit down.

As I said, my Lab never spun around. She did tease herself with her tail though. I'd look over and she would have her head facing her tail. She'd be thumping her tail up and down several times. Then, she would strike and bite it. I sometimes wondered if she forget it was attached. LOL

Melody, Aug 3, 2012
  4. Pocs

zararina Well-Known Member

I had seen some of our dogs chasing tail and some even had the chance to caught it. :p
    I think it was just them being playful and find tail chasing a nice pastime. Lol

zararina, Aug 4, 2012
  5. Pocs

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a playful thing. Kotton has a fluffy curly tail and it's always sneaking up on her :eek: she will be walking and all of a sudden she will growl and go after that sneaky little tail...she's only caught it once and apparently bit down because she screeched and tried to find out who bit her.

pugskjj, Aug 4, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  6. Pocs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's rather hilarious. Could it really be true that the dog might actually forget that its tail is part of itself? I haven't noticed any dog biting, say, its paw by mistake.

Victor Leigh, Aug 4, 2012
  7. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Tail chasing behaviour is common in pups but not so much in older dogs. It could be that they are seeking attention from you if you laugh at their antics. Don't reward them if they do this tail chasing. It probably isn't caused from boredom if they have company.It may be a habit that should be discouraged. Mishka has never chased her tail as far as I can remember.

argon_0, Aug 5, 2012
  8. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my Homer has never chased his tail, not even when he was a puppy. I've always wanted to see him doing it because I'm sure that it would look more than hilarious;) He prefers to chase people and cats though.
    Here is a video of an adorable, little Yorkie chasing his tail:

claudine, Jul 16, 2013
  9. Pocs

worldmachine Member

There are many reasons why a dog might chase it's tail, such as being in a small space where movement is restricted, irritated anal glands, high cholesterol, if the levels are high it could block the flow of brain hormones which control mood and behaviour and also canine compulsive disorder. Maybe it could simply be fleas.

This behaviour therefore, can be due to minor issues or more serious ones that require veterinary intervention, high cholesterol in dogs can usually be controlled just with more exercise and canine compulsive disorder can be treated with anti obsessive drugs.

worldmachine, Mar 17, 2015
  10. Pocs

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I saw Ginger the pup I rescued chasing her tail and I felt sure it had something to do with the fleas she came home with. I've been checking her closely and she has not done it much today.

I think that's a sign she is getting better and I know she is. When I saw this thread I decided to do my usual search and it appears I might just be right. Fleas and anal gland issues are associated with tail chasing as this link will show.

http://www.petsadviser.com/behaviors/reasons-dogs-chase-their-tails/

Winterybella, Mar 18, 2015
  11. Pocs

Trellum Well-Known Member

I never stop mine from running in circles like that chasing her tail, mostly because it's so funny to watch and also because she really seems to enjoy it. After all she starts doing that when she starts feeling bored.

Trellum, Mar 23, 2015
  12. Pocs

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone chased his tail from time to time, and I think it's so cute! He went in circles and circles until he was tired enough to give up :)

IcyBC, Oct 18, 2015
  13. Pocs

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have to say Ginger is still chasing her tail. I am so confuse as the ticks and fleas should be gone. Whatever the reason she looks really cute and it make me laugh.

Winterybella, Oct 22, 2015
Ask a Question