Cat litter

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

This is a somewhat silly question but I will ask it anyway. Has anyone ever used a litter tray with a dog? Why did you try it? Did your dog use it? Has anyone's dog ever just started using the cat's litter tray of their own accord? Our dogs never showed any interest in the litter tray and we never encouraged them to use it.

GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

Libragirl67 Member

I have heard of a few animals other than a cat who will use a litter box. But I have never heard of a dog being able to use the litter box. I just don't think it is in their nature to do that. I think it is more of the opposite effect for dogs. The actually view it as big candy store. Because I know quite a few dogs who will try to eat the cats feces. I just don't think it connects for them to dig in the litter and bury there waste in it. Felines seem to be naturally inclined to do this. But dogs are best left to the outdoors when they need to deficate.

Libragirl67, May 10, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I have used a kitty litter box with puppies. Once they are going on their own they are taught to use the litter box in the whelping area. Once they get that together and I see that they are on a regular schedule with the box, the box is slowly moved closer to the door. Once they have their shots, the box is usually right by the door so the next step is outside the door. Usually once we are to the stage that the box is outside the door and they feel the grass under their feet and smell and see what the other dogs are doing there is no longer a need for the box. I do also have a litter box upstairs for the chihuahuas and they use it during the winter mainly or if I am gone past their usual out time. Since none of the big dogs are allowed upstairs I don't have to worry about them regressing and trying to use the box and it keeps me from having to clean up little accidents if I am late coming home.

MzMonka, May 14, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

We have not tried using a tray litter for our dogs. We just trained them to their thing on a certain spot or place.

zararina, May 28, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

It would be so convenient if Homer knew how to use a litter box! But when I got him, I had no idea that it's possible to train a dog to use it and now it's probably too late to teach him to do it. So I have to walk him 4 or even 5 times a day.

claudine, May 28, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

TheBrit Active Member

Never heard of a dog using a litter tray on a regular basis. A young male will sometimes use it if it's being used by cats just to leave their mark.
    Cats obviously don't even need to be taught to use one and I have heard of people training rabbits to use one, but dogs, no.

TheBrit, Jun 18, 2013
Ask a Question