Can you tell if...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Jan 7, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

a dog is male or female without looking at its sex? If so how? What’s the difference in their looks and characteristics?

King Browny, Jan 7, 2012
  2. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

Hard to tell on puppies specially those that are one day old. LOL
    I think female dogs have more "girly" appearance and male dogs have more "masculine" looks. That was just my guess. :D

zararina, Jan 9, 2012
  3. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Not me. No way that I can tell the sex of a dog without looking at the relevant parts. If it's a long-haired breed like a Shih Tzu, it's even more difficult to tell.

Victor Leigh, Jan 9, 2012
  4. King Browny

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I don't think there's an easy way to tell if dogs are male or female without identifying their sex organs.

MakingCents, Jan 9, 2012
  5. King Browny

However when I get a new puppy, I always make sure to look in the right places. Mainly because I prefer to get bitches. From my experience, bitches are easier to train.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  6. King Browny

Yes, it’s hard to tell on puppies but when they mature bitches have certain physical characteristics that differ with the dog. See, I had more male dogs than female and when I had female dogs’ I noticed that their hair grow more stylish (with thin layers growing here and there) and they really have curvy bodies and slimmer face.

King Browny, Jan 12, 2012
  7. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

I think it also depends on what breed. I usually have female dogs but right now what I have is a male dog. It will be easiest to tell that a dog was female when she was pregnant. LOL

zararina, Jan 12, 2012
  8. King Browny

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I think some people tend to think of some breeds as females and some as males too. For isntance, poodles are often called girls and rottweilers are often referred to as males.

MakingCents, Jan 13, 2012
  9. King Browny

Good point. I often think Labradors are often male and Golden Retrievers are often female. I guess it also depend on the owner’s gender preference on desired breed.

King Browny, Jan 13, 2012
  10. King Browny

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Due to my immaturity, this made me lol so hard.

I definitely agree with that. Usually people think of breeds as only being a certain sex because they appear more masculine or feminine.

Nick87, Jan 14, 2012
  11. King Browny

I think I can see where I hit your funny bone. However, I think that bitches, the four-legged type, are easier to train for the simple reason that they only are in heat, generally, once every six months. That makes them amenable to instructions most of the time. Whereas male dogs are always looking for some willing females.

Victor Leigh, Jan 14, 2012
  12. King Browny

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I don't think I can tell from looking at a dogs face but I can tell in cats most of the time. Tom cats usually have bigger rounder faces and females have a little more slant to the smaller face....but even that can be switched around sometimes. I think in observing the BEHAVIOR of dogs might tell you....male dogs seem to be dumber...ha ha

SallyintheValley, Feb 7, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  13. King Browny

Male dogs dumber? Maybe you have a point there. I remember my male dogs trying their best to look macho while my female dogs are the ones that looked like they really knew what's going on.

Victor Leigh, Feb 8, 2012
Ask a Question