Biting tires

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Matthew Todd, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd New Member

So i live way out in the country and love riding my fourwheeler and my dog loves going with me. Problem is he wont stop attacking the tires. He has never had any tramatic encounters with cars or anything to do with tires. Its great excercise for him and an easy way for me to get him the excercise he needs because im confined to a wheelchair and its tough to get around in the country without using the quad, any ideas would be greatley appreaciated. Thank you.

Matthew Todd, Dec 31, 2015
  2. Matthew Todd

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your problem with your Hemi biting the tires, but I think this kind of behaviors is known as the ''predatory chase''. Whoever is living with you must put a leash on him before you get on your quad, good behaviors must be rewarded with treats and praise. It's better to work on this when dogs are still young, but right now you guys can still stop him from doing this.

Trellum, Jan 2, 2016
    Matthew Todd likes this.
  3. Matthew Todd

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Good to have you on board! I am a first time dog owner so I don't have any sound advice to give. You can always do a search online to read on the tips from the experts and find out which one will work out for you!

My Capone when he was younger, he loved to bite the legs of tables and chairs, so someone told me to rub some hot pepper on those legs and once tasted he dashed away. I was able to save my furniture :)

IcyBC, Jan 2, 2016
    Matthew Todd likes this.
  4. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd New Member

Thank u for the advice, i have heard about the hot sauce or hot pepper idea in a few forums now, that sounds like the best idea so far for my situation. Im gonna give it a shot and hope for the best. Thank you again!

Matthew Todd, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Matthew Todd

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Welcome is all I can say and I hope that something works out. I've never had to deal with the problem. I just find my girls like to be sniffing around the tires.

Winterybella, Jan 15, 2016
  6. Matthew Todd

Alpha1 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Start with what Trellum has pointed out and see how that goes.

Alpha1, Jan 18, 2016
  7. Matthew Todd

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I currently have 3 dogs, 2 males and 1 female. I have noticed that the 2 males would urinate on the car's tires while the female would pee on anywhere else. We have 2 cars and you can imagine that our 2 male dogs would be trying their best to urinate on all 8 tires. But when we are watching, they know it is not right so they don't do it all the time. Maybe it is in their nature to urinate that way.

Corzhens, Jan 29, 2016
Ask a Question