Big Dog or Little Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 31, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Many people I've talked to have firm opinions about what size of dog they like. Some say they love big dogs because big dogs are real dogs. They don't like yappy small dogs. Some people say they like little dogs better because are easier to deal with. They stay cute all their lives. Some are afraid of larger dogs, but are fine with small dogs. There might be a variety of reasons why you might like one over the other.

I've had dogs ranging from 9 lbs. to 75 lbs., so I've had the spectrum. My big dog intimidated people merely by her size. That could be a good thing when we took walks or when someone came to the door. But, it can be expensive to feed a big dog. Sierra cost me $30 a month to feed. You, also, have to be physical strong to control some large dogs.

Small dogs can be very cute. They are like having puppies around all the time. It's cheaper to feed them. But, small dogs can be fearful and bark too much because of it. That can get on your nerves.

I don't really have an opinion either way. I loved my big dog, but a small dog fits my lifestyle now. One of the problems I had with Sierra was as she aged she needed my assistance more. I'm a small person and I have arthritis. It was difficult for me to lift a 75 lb. dog into the car and any other time she needed help. It will be much easier to lift Misha's 9 lbs. if she needs my help.

What size dog do you prefer? Do you have an opinion either way?

Melody, May 31, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I prefer small dogs because they are truly easier to walk and manage. But I do have medium sized dogs because that's the size of dogs here in my country.

I used to have a lab mix and since she wasn't walked often, she would pull the holder of her leash. To walk her was physically draining because she had so much strength and she could pull really hard when she sees something she fancies.

If we start training big dogs when they're still small, it would easier to fit them in your lifestyle.

And you're correct, it's a matter of what fits your current lifestyle now.

haopee, May 31, 2012
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I actually prefer medium sized dogs. :p
    If ever I have to choose between big and small, I rather choose small cause I do not think I can manage to take care of those really big dogs.

zararina, May 31, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, it's true that training makes a difference. Sometimes Misha can be very stubborn. She will plant herself at the end of the leash and I am almost dragging her 9 lbs. She can be strong when she wants to be.

Sierra was very gentle. The only problem I had with her was when we were on walks. She was powerful. We were much better matched as she aged and slowed down.

Melody, May 31, 2012
  5. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

I prefer big dogs or the regular sized ones. I always see dogs as protector besides as pets. Not that small ones aren’t lethal enough. Actually they’re louder sometimes. Haha! It’s just that I prefer a pet that can’t be easily set aside just by the look of it. And I find it more fun to play with dogs my size; I could cope with their energy. Smaller ones are far energetic I believe. I also love to snuggle dogs and their big body is not only huggable but is also like a shelter.

King Browny, Jun 1, 2012
  6. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

In the past I've owned small dogs and have to say I do have a preference for them. As some posters have mentioned smaller dogs can be easier to manage.

You're right some bigger dogs can have quite a lot of strength and if they refused to go where you wanted on a walk I imagine that could be quite a difficult situation. Even little dogs can be a handful when they are stubborn.

I also like being able to lift my dog and have it sit on my lap. :)I know it's silly but after house sitting a larger dog .. it's also a lot easier cleaning up after smaller dogs. If you get what I mean. ;)

tajnz, Jun 6, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have had big dogs and I have had small ones. The biggest I have ever had was a Dobermann. The smallest is a Miniature Pinscher. The big ones I take with me for walks as companions and body guards. The small ones I take for walks for fun.

Victor Leigh, Jun 6, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  8. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

If I had to list an actual preference, I'd say medium sized dogs. Large dogs take a lot of work and tiny dogs annoy the crap out of me. >< I've had them vary in sizes over the years and loved them all dearly, though. :)

Jessi, Jun 7, 2012
Ask a Question