Behavior and Maturing

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't know when it happened. But, my little dog isn't a puppy anymore. I'm starting to notice little behavior changes. The silly play that has drifted away. Those puppy antics that stop because myr dog has more experience with the world.

One thing I've noticed lately is Misha's changing sleeping habits. She used to prefer to be in her tent with the blanket over her most of the day. She rarely slept in the little bed in the living room. Now, she likes to be out there most of the evening under her blanket.

Also, she rarely slept on my bed, preferring to be in her bed. But, lately, I've noticed the blankets at the end of my bed pushed around and a little spotted dog nestled in the spot. Her overly large bunny stuffed animal usually sits there. She pushes it out of the way so she can have "her" place to sleep.

When we moved, she was crazy for my Mom's carpeting and tan bark. She got over the carpeting thing after about 6 months. But, she loved to chew tan bark. I had to take her out on leash or she would run right for it and eat some. It has dawned on me that not only does she not eat it anymore, but if she picks some up she spits it out.

She is still a very silly dog. That's her personality. But, at 3 1/2 years old, I can see a lot of the puppy stuff and the crazy stuff from my Dad's death and our move slipping away. She's becoming an adult.

Did you notice your dog was no longer a puppy anymore or was it something that slip away slowing so you were not aware of the change?

Melody, Nov 25, 2012
  2. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have noticed this growing up change with my dogs. Usually they grow up and settle down at about a bit over a year old. Some breeds, though, are notorious for being late developers, so to say. Bangkeaws do not really mature until they are at least two or three years old. Once they mature, they become more quiet. And a lot more dangerous. I know because I have met Bangkeaws that do not bark at all. Just wait till you get within range before they attack.

Poodles, from my experience, do not seem to grow up at all. The mischievous twinkle in their eyes do not seem to diminish the least bit with the passage of time. If anything, the older they get, the more mischievous they become. Probably that's because they have become smarter as they become older. Not like me at all.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

It does seem that different breeds need extra maturing time. My Lab settled a bit at 3 years old. She was easier to handle. But, she was 5 when she fully matured. Then, she didn't even want to play with toys anymore. She became very lazy.

Misha (the Jack Russell) seems to have matured at a quicker pace. At least, she was much quicker understanding commands and following through on them.

One of the things that I'm very happy to report is she has finally learned play biting. She likes to wrestle with me. Before, it was a dangerous game because she would forget and really bite you. Now, she can gently tap you with her teeth as she plays. It is such a relief! This was one thing I thought she would never get. You would be surprised how much damage such small teeth can do.

Melody, Nov 26, 2012
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It was a process, it didn't happen at once. With time, Homer became more calm - and an individualist. When he was a pyppy, he always wanted to have company, now he enjoys having time only for himself and if in the evening I want to pet him, he growls. I can't even get near his bed. He doesn't destroy things as willingly as he did in the past and he stopped running like crazy around the house. He is now more lazy:p

claudine, Nov 26, 2012
  5. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, I am still waiting for Buddy to mature, and I've had him for three years now, LOL. Oso has matured for the most part, but there are some moments where he lets his puppy tendencies come out. I think it has to do with being around Buddy, don't know what it will take to get this dog to finally mature and act his age.

pafjlh, Nov 26, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  6. Melody

Buddy is a very cute dog then:D . I wish my Homer could always act like a puppy. It was so much fun! He was more willing to play when he was younger, now he gets bored so easily. He has puppy-moments but unfortunately not too often:(

claudine, Nov 26, 2012
  7. Melody

I don't the dogs are getting lazy when they don't want to play when they get older. They are just getting smarter. They have finally figured out that running after balls does not bring home the bacon, so to speak.

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
  8. Melody

But Homer still brings me the stick a few times a day and he wants me to throw it for him. He just doesn't want to run after it:p Especially if I throw it too far away:p

claudine, Nov 28, 2012
  9. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I found Mishka still has one or two puppy behaviours. She will still run around the house while I stand near a corner and try to tag her as she screams past at a great rate of knots or gets a stick and encourages us to chase her.
    The mature thing she does probably outweigh the puppy behaviour.She is very very patient on many situations
    For instance she waits for me at night to drag myself off the couch and stagger upstairs half asleep following closely behind ensuring all the sheep are safely in their pen.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Nov 29, 2012
  10. Melody

See I told you he's just getting smarter. He wants you to throw the stick and go fetch it, too. He has finally figured out that since you are the one who wants the stick, you might as well be the one to fetch it. He's just bringing you the stick to help you get started.

Victor Leigh, Nov 29, 2012
    argon_0 and claudine like this.
  11. Melody

This made me laugh so hard - yes, it's possible that he just wants to help me, lol:D . But why is he trying to bite me when I'm taking the stick from his mouth?:p

claudine, Nov 29, 2012
  12. Melody

That would be a dogs nature not to let you take it from their mouth.
    Biting is not so good so I guess it's a matter of getting your dog to drop it.

Mishka wont let me have a stick from her mouth unless I can convince her to drop it with a command otherwise she will play catch me if you can. Not being as agile as I once was I pretend to chase her so she can get the exercise by running circles around the yard.

argon_0, Nov 29, 2012
  13. Melody

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My pup is only 2, so I don't think his behaviour will be changing for a little while longer. But I do fear that he may become slightly more aggressive. I have noticed little changes, like he growls a lot more now than he ever did, but that might just be because he's been very excited about all the new treats that he gets :p

bellahpereira, Dec 1, 2012
  14. Melody

I always feel that Homer is making me do the exercises, not the other way around. I guess it's fun for him to look at me while I'm running and trying to catch him. He is so much faster than me. He always runs away, waits for me, and when I'm almost there he runs away even further:p

claudine, Dec 1, 2012
  15. Melody

I bet you crack up laughing when you find yourself chasing the stick.:D
    I just had an idea. Maybe rub some doggie treats on the stick so the smell wafts back to Homer and maybe he will co-operate and be the one to fetch the stick.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Dec 1, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  16. Melody

That's to stop you from throwing the stick again. Have you never seen that look on your dog's face after you have thrown the stick for the umpteenth time? Kind of like "Oh no, not again!"
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
    argon_0 and claudine like this.
  17. Melody

Argon_0, I'm afraid he would try to eat the stick if it smelled like food:p . Homer is always hungry and ready to eat everything:eek:
    Victor Leigh, this picture is adorable. Homer looks like this when I'm asking him if he wants to go for a walk when it's raining:p

claudine, Dec 2, 2012
  18. Melody

If looks could kill. I'm sure it must be the doggie kohl that he uses. Then again that doesn't look like a doggie smile either.:eek:

argon_0, Dec 2, 2012
  19. Melody

Aragon_0, he really looks like he used kohl, lol. And he definitely is good at expressing emotions:p My Homer is good at it too, obnly he uses his teeth instead of a stare:p

claudine, Dec 3, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  20. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes I can also notice that our dog or dogs are maturing slowly. Just like they will become less playful. They become more patient and will follow instructions faster.

zararina, Dec 5, 2012
Ask a Question