Barking issues

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by kinser, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I have two dogs - a German shepherd and a Rott/Lab mix. When outside, they bark at every dog (and kid, and leaf blowing in the wind, etc.) that walks by our house, and I'm afraid it's offending our neighbors (no one has ever complained, but I worry that they are just being "nice" by not saying anything - I don't want to bother anyone). Anyway, the Rott/Lab is the worst b/c his bark is so loud. I've thought about investing in a bark collar, but want to get opinions on a safe, humane, effective collar before buying anything. Suggestions or advice?

kinser, Apr 13, 2012
  2. kinser

haopee Well-Known Member

You could start with addressing the issue. There are different ways to halt an unnecessary behavior. One of which is to correct it the moment it occurs (DURING and NOT AFTER). This requires proper timing. Some tools you can use is a can filled with pennies or a spray bottle to deter the behavior. When they do something wrong such as jump at you, you shake the can to make a noise that should distract them.

Have you tried correcting him with a low toned "No", like a growl? When dogs communicate in a pack, the alpha usually sounds out a growl as a warning that his subordinates should not be doing that.

By the way, there's one more thing you have to figure out, what kind of barking does your Rottie/Lab mix do? Does it sound like an anxious bark? An aggressive bark? A curious bark? A fearful bark?

You should check this out. And here are more Youtube video that might be able to help you. Here's its link.

Good luck.

haopee, Apr 13, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

A bark collar does not seem a good idea for me. Training or making your dog be more obedient on your commands is better although that is easier said than that. Hope you can still make your dog control his barking through commanding him.

zararina, Apr 14, 2012
  4. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't want to use anything that would harm or cause any kind of pain. Rather, I'd pictured "startling" him out of a barking tirade. I just don't know if it would be effective. I'm really working on the "no bark" command, which he seems to understand, but won't obey when outside and stimulated. My German shepherd, I think, is picking up on the "no bark" command beautifully.

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
Ask a Question