Barking at their shadow/reflection

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by wils172, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wils172

wils172 Active Member

I swear my dogs are so dumb sometimes, but maybe alot of dogs do this?

Do your dogs bark at their reflection or shadow like mine?

wils172, Mar 22, 2012
  2. wils172

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs does not bark on our own shadows or his own shadow but would bark for someone else's shadows since that is a stranger shadow. LOL
    My old dog before used to bark a lot on motorcycles. I also had a dog that used to bark on anything that will block our gate. :p

zararina, Mar 23, 2012
  3. wils172

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, haven't noticed any of my dogs barking at shadows, whether their own or that belonging to other people. Maybe it's because when they are out in the sun, they are too busy having fun running around to bother about barking at shadows.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2012
  4. wils172

haopee Well-Known Member

Interesting. My dogs don't bark at their shadows but some dogs can grow an obsession with anything they feel is foreign such as tail chasing, obsessing on a toys, wheels or even a freaking lawnmower. I'm not sure if it's whether because they are of predatory nature (coming from their wolf cousins) or just plain playing.

Still, as long as they're not doing excessively, that's one more way for them to avoid getting bored.

haopee, Mar 23, 2012
  5. wils172

Jessi Well-Known Member

Okay, story time:

When I was little, we had a stray dog that stuck around for longer than usual and just wouldn't seem to go away. He stuck around long enough that he ended up with a nickname....a name which I knew as DF and would call for him affectionately.

Turns out, DF stood for Dumb F*ck because the first several nights he slept outside our house, we barked all night long. My dad would go out to check in case something was actually wrong, and he'd be flipping out over his own shadow....or this large rock we had. He only shut up when he was led to the other side of the house where the moon was shining, ha.

Jessi, Mar 23, 2012
  6. wils172

King Browny Well-Known Member

I don’t remember my dog doing that. I guess he thought it to be some stranger. Or maybe he’s looking at his reaction when he barks and sees he looks great or powerful that’s why he keeps on doing so. :D

What I remember with my dogs though is when they go after their tail. They’re like circling non-stop.

King Browny, Mar 24, 2012
Ask a Question