Barking at nothing

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Do your dogs ever seem to bark at nothing at all?

Do you think they actually hear something? Or do they just enjoy the sounds of their own voices? :D

Jessi, Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

It can be several things. He senses danger so he tries to warn you or fend of the threat. He may hear another dog bark or howl from a half a mile away. In my dog's case, he's just loony lol.

shdws, Feb 6, 2013
  3. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

It sometimes looks like Homer was barking at nothing but I'm pretty sure he always has a reason to do it. I think usually he hears some noises that I'm unable to hear.

claudine, Feb 7, 2013
  4. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog sometimes seems to bark at nothing but we still think that it could be something so, we try to double check the surroundings or try to comprehend. Hehehe

zararina, Feb 8, 2013
  5. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

It's better not to ignore it when a dog is barking without any reason. Once, Homer started to bark in the middle of the night and we ignored it. In the morning we realised somebody had been in our garden because there were footprints in the snow. So scary:(

claudine, Feb 8, 2013
  6. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha does bark at nothing sometimes. She is very talkative though, so I'll go with "loves to hear her own voice". :D

She has super sonic hearing. So, a lot of times when it seems she is barking at nothing, I think she may be hearing something on the street behind us or down at the end of the block.

She will on occasion bark at the dog who lives in the TV stand. She sees her reflection and every now and then she has to tell that dog to get out of her living room. LOL

Melody, Feb 11, 2013
  7. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

LOL. Misha sounds like a song bird.

There are a lot of things that we may call nothing but is, in fact, something. For instance, them hearing, smelling and feeling something beyond our range. That's why they feel earthquakes even when it's so far away and we don't. Remember this video...

Sophie is one amazing gal.

haopee, Feb 11, 2013
Ask a Question