Are you strict with your dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pippin, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Pippin

Pippin Member

There are a lot of people out there who believe that while dogs can be family pets, they are still not human and should have strict rules. I had a friend who did not let his dogs sit on the couch, the dogs weren't allowed to sleep in the bed, and in the night, he put them outside in the backyard. He had more rules than that.

With my 2 dogs, they are family, and I let them do what they want, but I still have some boundaries like not letting them use the restroom everywhere in the house, or chewing on furniture.

Are you strict with your dogs?

Pippin, Aug 10, 2016
  2. Pippin

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I don't know that I am strict. I just let them get away with too much sometimes but it comes down to training and that calls for a lot of time and patience. I have friends and family who think I am crazy to let my dogs on the bed but it happens sometimes and it is fine by me. I just worry that my husband does not care much for it. You never want to choose between the dog and your husband:).

Sometimes when my dogs do silly things I do speak to them sternly but other than that, we are partners in crime. With my cat who passed, the story was not the same. He was spoiled rotten. Another story for another forum.

Winterybella, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Pippin

cluckeyo Active Member

I have never had to be very strict with Valentine. She is a good dog, very well behaved and it seems to come naturally to her. I have had dogs that are not so perfect and I don't really remember what I did about it. But this little dog I have now is very well mannered.

cluckeyo, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Pippin

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We have 3 dogs and we also treat them as family. To me, they are quite spoiled because I give them whatever they want. But with my husband, he is very strict with our dogs that's why the mere voice of my husband would stop our dogs on their tracks. Especially Barbie, our youngest dog who is my favorite, she is stubborn and she wouldn't obey most of us except for my husband. But in fairness to my husband, I think it is good to discipline the dogs. At least they behave when my husband is around.

Corzhens, Aug 16, 2016
  5. Pippin

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm not strict. I can't say no to Homer;) We love him and treat him like family. He has his own little room, his toys, blankets and pillows.
    As you can guess, he's spoiled, but that's okay. The only thing that matters to me is that he's happy:)

claudine, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Pippin

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog has boundaries, he knows what he can do, where he can go, and how to behave. He stays on the couch right next to me when I am working on my laptop, and he sleeps with my sons in their bed. However, if none of us is home, then he stays in his kennel with a chew bone just for his own safety. At night, when the boys are not home, he roams the house and sleeps where he wants.

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2016
Ask a Question