Are puppy classes a good idea?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by tajnz, Jun 13, 2012.

1. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

I know some people choose to get private traning sessions from dog trainers but what do you think about puppy classes? Where puppies of similar ages and their owners socalize and learn basic training techniques.

I've heard the sooner puppies get used to other dogs the better they will be at socalizing when they are older.

tajnz, Jun 13, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. tajnz

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not think that is very necessary and if you really want your dog to be trained or learn tricks, one on one training seems more effective for me.

zararina, Jun 13, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
  3. tajnz

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea if you don't think you can handle the training on your own. If you're clueless about how to train a new dog, then hey, a class that shows you and your dog both the techniques to success, then eh, go for it. I personally wouldn't sign up for one, though.

Jessi, Jun 14, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
  4. tajnz

Melody Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea for the socialization aspect. I wish I had done this with Misha. Even though I had been through dog training, I think she could have benefited from being around other dogs. It was just bad timing. My Dad's health was worsening and he and Misha both needed my attention.

I do agree that if you've been through dog training you probably don't need to go again. One of the things I learned about dog training is those classes are to train the human not the dog. The human is the one that needs to learn how to be pack leader and how to do things. With practice, the dog figures it out. The human is the hard headed one in this match.

Melody, Jun 14, 2012
    tajnz and argon_0 like this.
  5. tajnz

argon_0 Well-Known Member

My regret is Mishka never got any formal puppy training with other dogs.
    She was initially my daughter's and it was always talked about.:rolleyes:
    But as Melody said With practice, the dog figures it out. :)

argon_0, Jun 14, 2012
  6. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

You brought up a great point. I agree the purpose of dog training is not to train the dogs but to train their owners on proper training techniques. :) I went to one or two dog puppy training classes with my mother when I adopted my first dog. We only went to two as my dog was an adult and not a puppy as we had adopted her from the RSPCA.

It looked like a good idea but it didn't look like the owners were having much success as there was no indivdual instruction and too big a class size. Over 20 puppies! :eek:

Perhaps people should have to pass a quick written or verbal test about training dogs before they are allowed their first dog?

tajnz, Jun 14, 2012
  7. tajnz

haopee Well-Known Member

That would be a nice idea but I'm pretty sure that will leave some dogs homeless if old owners were to take it as well. Unfortunately, some people sell puppies for profit and no matter how strict we can be when it comes to owning a dog, these puppy mills won't stop creating new gimmicks for people to buy from them.

Anyway, puppy classes can be great for socializing. And besides, it's the owner that is being taught more than the puppy and that's important because some dog owners don't know a thing, especially the ones who've gotten a puppy on impulse. Just as Melody had mentioned. Getting the rewards is just half of the picture, owning a dog is also a commitment and a responsibility.

haopee, Jun 15, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
  8. tajnz

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want your dog to do. If it's meant to be a guard dog, then teaching it how to be sociable is the last thing that you would want to do. As for toy dogs, I think they are already sociable enough without being trained.

There's one dog breed that I know for sure that doesn't need to be taught how to be sociable. I have met a few Golden Retrievers and they greeted me like a long-lost friend even though I am a total stranger.

Victor Leigh, Jun 15, 2012
  9. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

True, I forgot some people buy dogs as guard dogs. Most people in my country buy dogs just as companions but of course there are a variety of reasons people buy dogs. Some buy them as hunting companions ect..

I agree in regards to Golden Retrievers they are all so friendly to anyone they come in contact with. They wouldn't make good guards dogs that's for sure.

tajnz, Jun 16, 2012
  10. tajnz

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Golden Retrievers are supposed to be that friendly. They are great companions for children. I have seen videos of children riding them, pulling their ears and, in short, treating them very much like stuffed toys, yet they don't get angry.

Victor Leigh, Jun 16, 2012
  11. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow, Victor I knew Golden Retrievers were friendly by nature but I had no idea they would let children ride on them or play with them without getting angry. Golden Retrievers are gentle giants.:)

tajnz, Jun 20, 2012
Ask a Question