A small breakthrough on Misha's door behavior

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, May 17, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't know if you remember my post about how terrible Misha is at the front door when my Mom tries to leave. She becomes a maniac. She jumps, barks, cries. If I have her on leash so my Mom can leave, she goes into a crying frenzy and struggles to prevent her from going.

One day two weeks ago, my Mom was leaving and I decided to change my tactics on the spot. I put the leash on Misha and in a cheery voice told her "let's go outside". We walked out front with my Mom. My Mom went to the car. And...no barking or crying from Misha. She stopped and stared as if this new information had to be processed.

I have done this every time my Mom has gone somewhere since. Each time same reaction. Panicked frenzy in the house, quiet curiosity to boredom out front.

I don't know why she behaves differently inside and outside even though she can still see my Mom. I am not sure if it's because she can't see where my Mom goes from the front door (it is on the side of the house) or once she is outside she is distracted.

I am hoping in the end that she will make the connection that it's okay to let Grandma go and she won't panic inside. For now, this works and at least that is something.

Melody, May 17, 2013
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's great that you find a solution!:D It's weird though...sometimes it's just difficult to understand a dog:p . Maybe Misha at first thinks that she is going with your mom and then she gets distracted because the garden is full of smells and noises. Also, because she is going outside with you, she probably doesn't feel left out.

claudine, May 17, 2013
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, I don't fully understand it myself. It's like a switch turns on and off on her behavior. At first, she stares at my Mom walking to the car as if she doesn't fully understand. Then, we walk down the walkway and she starts smelling plants as if she's no longer interested.

Whatever it is, I hope it continues. It was traumatic getting my Mom out the door before. What a hassle!

Melody, May 17, 2013
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Waaaiiittt, Don't Gooo!!!

I think Misha simply feels left as she perceives the house as a barrier to her ultimate happiness... in this instance, your mom;).

I'm just glad Misha is improving. It pays to be patient, understanding and persistent. Good job, Mel. Glad you discovered this breakthrough.

haopee, May 18, 2013
  5. Melody

Becky Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have found the way to break the habit for her, it must make things so much easier for you - not to mention Misha will be a lot less stressed and more happy :)

Becky, May 23, 2013
  6. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

Sounds interesting, is it perhaps because it is your mom who normally takes her out for walks or did all the puppy walking when she was young and she associaties your mom going out with walks time?
    You do seem to have sorted the situation out which is good. After your mum has gone is she then quite happy to go back inside without any further problems?

TheBrit, Jun 5, 2013
  7. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice that you had discover such solution for Misha. :)
    Yeah, I also think it is because Misha treat the door as barrier and that she cannot see where your mom is going. :D

zararina, Jun 22, 2013
Ask a Question