A really fat hot dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Victor Leigh, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This is Alfie.

He's a Labrador, just in case you cannot tell from his shape. He also weighs 80 kilograms which is more than many of us probably weighs. Now how did he get this fat? Apparently his owner is very old and forgetful. Forgetful as in forgetting whether he has fed Alfie or not. So just to be sure he fed Alfie again. And again. And again. Alfie, of course, didn't protest.

[​IMG]
    More information here:​

Victor Leigh, Sep 15, 2012
  2. Victor Leigh

claudine Well-Known Member

Poor Alfie. It's hard to believe, he weights twice as much as me! It's awful, I'm always very worried when I see overweight dogs. Their owners are so irresponsible. Spoiling a dog from time to time is ok, but making him ill is a different thing. Overweight is an disease. If Alfie's owner has such a terrible memory, he should have a plant, not a dog.

claudine, Sep 15, 2012
  3. Victor Leigh

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

There are certain medical issues that can cause a dog to put on weight very fast too. Cushing's Disease will cause this, our beagle had it and got huge - even as we were trying to control her eating to offset it. My friends dog got really overweight too, and we used to get a laugh out of it because when you would throw a ball for him to play fetch, he would sometimes stop half way and be like "screw it" and just walk back.

OhioTom76, Sep 16, 2012
  4. Victor Leigh

Jessi Well-Known Member

Aww, that's awful. I feel really bad for the dog. At least the owner was forgetful and would feed him again instead of not feeding him ever at all, I suppose?

Jessi, Sep 16, 2012
  5. Victor Leigh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

How awful is this, if his owner can't take proper care of him, and keep him in the proper weight for his breed give him to me. I would love to own another golden Lab, I have only had one in my life, and they are such a wonderful breed of dog, smart and loving. I miss my golden lab and I have to see one who isn't properly cared for it bothers me.

pafjlh, Sep 20, 2012
  6. Victor Leigh

tajnz Well-Known Member

:( How sad! To be honest I don't think Alfie's owner is able to properly take care of him anymore. Perhaps she should find him a loving home that will let her still see him from time to time. Things can't keep on going the way they've been going!

tajnz, Sep 22, 2012
  7. Victor Leigh

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Labs are one of those breeds that will eat and eat until they're sick, and then eat some more. I do not know why on earth anyone would allow an animal in their care, to get like that. It's as bad as starving them. The strain on their heart and organs, their bones and general health, it's nothing short of disgraceful. Forgetting you've fed a dog and feeding him again and again, surely the size would have given that away!

Excuse me, I have to go and release at LEAST ten minutes of uninterrupted swearing after seeing that photo.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
  8. Victor Leigh

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Labs have a tendency to overeat, they usually won't refuse food when it's offered. The owner should get a chart to mark off or something for when the dog is fed. Missing a meal is bad for the dogs health, but overfeeding him to that degree is just as bad for his health.

Nick87, Sep 26, 2012
Ask a Question