6 Activities to Help You Bond With Your Dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Trellum, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Trellum, Jan 7, 2014
    Johanna and claudine like this.
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

Very interesting article and cute photos on it.
    I also find it useful for dog lovers and other pet others. Nice ideas on it.

zararina, Jan 8, 2014
  3. Trellum

Glad you found it useful, Zazarina :) It's always useful to know what activities are good to bond with our furry friends! But to me any kind of activity you and your dog enjoy doing together can work to bond you together even more.

Trellum, Jan 11, 2014
  4. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, "Nose work" sounds like a lot of fun, we will definitely give it a try! Homer loves sniffing everything. Once, he managed to track a cat, he was so proud of himself!:)
    Thank you for sharing this article, Trellum!:)

claudine, Jan 11, 2014
  5. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

It was an interesting article. I did not know that such programs like canine good citizen were around. As for me my dog and we do walk regularly in the morning and play in the garden during the afternoons. Since I have a two year old daughter she also joins our garden play time and loves it.

trishgl, Jan 28, 2014
  6. Trellum

This sounds lovely, Trishgl, I'm sure you all have a lot of fun. I wish Homer liked children! Some time ago, a friend of mine came to our house with her little son. Homer kept barking at him for almost an hour. He hates kids, I think he's scared of them:(

claudine, Feb 7, 2014
  7. Trellum

dodgesnose Member

Really good activities which both help on dog and human would greatly benefit. We sometimes do hiking and camping which is always fun.

dodgesnose, Feb 13, 2014
  8. Trellum

Hiking and camping sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I could do it with Homer! But I'm pretty sure that I'd end up carrying him if I took him on a hike with me. He's so tiny!
    Also, I noticed that he really doesn't like sleeping in new places. He's the happiest when he's at home:)

claudine, Feb 16, 2014
  9. Trellum

wanderingwildman New Member

Teaching your dog to catch a frisbee is another great bonding experience. I started when my dog was a puppy. I would spend several minutes a day on using his biggest motivator to train his catching skills. It sounds mean. But, I used to take about 20 or so of his individual chunks of food to practice catching. I would actually throw his food at him. I did this for months. The very first time I threw a frisbee, he knew exactly how to catch it however.

wanderingwildman, Mar 25, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  10. Trellum

This sounds like a really good method, I think I'll give it a try. My Homer has a frisbee, I bought it for him a few years ago, but he doesn't want to play with it, he has never tried to catch it. When I throw it, he just looks at it with fascination, lol;)

claudine, Apr 4, 2014
  11. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am going to have to try to get my son to read this. He's concern that I steal the love and attention the pets would otherwise give to him. With the latest addition I really want the two of them to bond. Right now the little one is mostly bonding with my slippers and anything that is within reach that can be bitten.

Winterybella, Mar 23, 2015
  12. Trellum

Hehehehe, she sounds adorable! I think it's great you want them both to bond, odds are he can make this happen if he follows those tips. By the way, a lot people complains about the same thing your son is complaining about, I used to do the same when I was younger, hehehe.

Trellum, Mar 23, 2015
  13. Trellum

mkCampbell Active Member

Pretty neat article. I think my number one bonding method is good old fashioned lazy days on the back porch while rubbing a furry belly. Just spending time with your pet helps the bonding process. But, when our son is in town from Army duty you can see the pups eyes light up and tail's wagging like crazy!

mkCampbell, Mar 23, 2015
  14. Trellum

My number one bonding method is playing fetch:) Homer instantly falls in love with people who want to throw him sticks and pine cones. A lazy day on a porch wouldn't make him happy. He's very active;)

claudine, Mar 23, 2015
  15. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That is an interesting article and have done couples of the suggested ideas. I think we had the instant bond when we picked him up at 7 weeks old. He always demanded human connection so we didn't have to try too hard.

IcyBC, Oct 16, 2015
  16. Trellum

Johanna Well-Known Member

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question