Your dog's favorite people food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Melody

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

When a child, we had a beagle mix, Cuddles, & after the carrots I had planted, grew to a nice size, she would dig them up, one by one & eat the! I recall going out back one afternoon & found the carrot tops all over the yard & patio !

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  2. Melody

Oh please Jessi, could we all talk you into sharing your peanut butter dog treats recipe, so we too can make them ? Thanks !

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  3. Melody

As far as Bobbi showing any excitement for any food in particular? No, as she is highly excitable for most every morsel of food! She does lover her meals n snacks !

SweetBeast, Dec 10, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm actually looking to try out this one that has pumpkin, too:
      • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour​
      • 2 eggs​
      • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin​
      • 2 tablespoons peanut butter​
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt​
      • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon​

I think it'll be great! You could just leave out the pumpkin, too, and maybe add a bit more peanut butter to hold them together. ​

Jessi, Dec 10, 2012
    Lex likes this.
  5. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Pumpkin is actually great for a dog's digestive system, I wouldn't leave it out!

MakingCents, Dec 10, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm pretty greedy.... I love using pumpkin myself, so I don't know that I want to share! Hehe.

Half a cup really isn't that much, though, so it'd be an easy way to use up the rest of the can after making a recipe for myself.

Take note: Canned pumpkin is NOT the same thing as canned pumpkin pie *filling.* Don't use the latter because it's going to be filled with extra ingredients like sugar and spices.

Jessi, Dec 10, 2012
  7. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Jessi, I should bake it or cook it? Or maybe just mix it? I'm not very talented at cooking so I need more details:p . It sounds like something my Homer would love to eat!:D

claudine, Dec 10, 2012
  8. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Whoops! I thought my original message had said cookies, so when I listed the ingredients, I thought it had already been implied that they were cookies. I was wrong, sorry!!

Anyway, I would bake them. I don't know exactly how long, but I'd start at say 350 degrees for 15 minutes maybe? 20 minutes? There's nothing in there that really has to be cooked (including the eggs), so you could even give it to them raw like that if you want or leave them undercooked. Mine like his extra crunchy, though, so I would probably over cook them intentionally.

Jessi, Dec 10, 2012
  9. Melody

Thank you!:D In my country there are still big chances that an egg will be contaminated with salmonella so I prefer to cook it. I'm not sure if salmonella is dangerous for dogs though...anyway, I prefer to be cautious. And I think Homer will prefer them extra crunchy too:D

claudine, Dec 11, 2012
  10. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Unless he's sick and his immune system is already compromised, then no, it's not an issue. Dogs stomachs are built different than ours. I understand being extra safe, though. Also, if you do use eggs for him at all, the shell actually contains vitamin B that is really, really good for them, so occasionally you should go ahead and crush up the shell to mix in with his food. :)

Jessi, Dec 12, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  11. Melody

Jessi, thanks so much as I lost track of this, & my 5 limit had run out for the day! I will be trying this recipe soon as it sounds good. So good in fact, I may, no, never mind, I'll save them all for Bobbi :)

Again, I thank you for this recipe!

SweetBeast, Dec 12, 2012
  12. Melody

It's good to know salmonella is not dangerous for dogs:) . I was so scared of it.
    I had no idea egg shells are so healthy. Thank you for the tip!:D Can it be a shell from cooked egg? Because I often eat cooked egg for breakfast so I could add part of the shell to Homer's food quite often.

claudine, Dec 12, 2012
  13. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, sure could be. I don't know the exact amount to give off hand. I usually do about a dozen shells a month (I know this because I make up a month's amount of food every month and part of that is a dozen eggs...and the accompanying shells). I could do some digging to see how much is recommended/safe, if you'd like.

Jessi, Dec 12, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  14. Melody

If you could, it would be great, but I don't want to trouble you. I think I'll just give him part of a shell from time to time:)

claudine, Dec 12, 2012
  15. Melody

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My dogs are serious meat eaters. Bandit loves breakfast foods. We have to be careful with our dog, Flomar, though, because his stomach reacts harshly to foods that have starch. I had a dog once when I was younger that loved coleslaw. It was the strangest thing!

Shepherd, Dec 27, 2012
  16. Melody

Lex Active Member

The only human food that my pups absolutely seem to go bananas over is Holiday Ham. My uncle comes down for every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and he tends to prepare 95% of the meals, which includes the Holiday Ham and our pups always get at least one teensy piece, each. Other than that? The only time they really get human food is if they deem themselves clever enough to try and steal it off of someone's plate - which, unfortunately, all of them have succeeded at, at least once.

As for specific foods that they like, though? Bandit will eat nearly anything - cashews, tomatoes, blueberries, cheerios, you name it and he will most definitely eat it right up. Dobby and Doris both love bread, and any kind of cheese. Dumbledore, though, will pretty much only eat human food if you give him some kind of meat - chicken, ham, etc.

Lex, Jan 10, 2013
  17. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

Well I hope you are careful not to let them sneak too often then. A lot of foods can be dangerous for dogs. And if they'll eat -anything-, then they sound quite sneaky and hungry to eat it all, ha.

Jessi, Jan 10, 2013
  18. Melody

Lex Active Member

Oh, don't worry! They may ask for human food, all of the time, but they rarely ever get it. It's mostly reserved for special occasions, you know? Bandit is rather sneaky, but I've had him just long enough to learn all his little tricks! Haha.

Lex, Jan 14, 2013
  19. Melody

Skyspiritflfl Member

Whipped Cream, on a recent road trip we saw a dog in front of us get whipped cream, she's been hooked ever since though she don't get it daily - She loves when she sees the cup or can of whip cream, and, trust me she knows what a coffee drive through and a can of whip cream both look like -man oh man am I in trouble (lol.)

Skyspiritflfl, Sep 7, 2014
  20. Melody

Haha, this is so cute! Unfortunately, I don' think whipped cream is healthy for dogs:(
    My little Yorshire Terrier loves coffee cream, but I don't let him drink it:p

claudine, Sep 11, 2014
Ask a Question