Your dog's favorite people food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't feed my dog much people food. It's difficult enough keeping her weight in check. She does get vegetables daily.

I found that certain food really make her happy. She loves baby carrots and broccoli. She is thrilled if a couple Cheerios fall her way. But, her all-time favorite is peanut butter. I use it to mask medications. She jumps all around me the second she picks up the smell. She doesn't even notice the terrible tasting pill squished in between.

What people food does your dog love? Is the love of peanut butter universal with dogs? I've yet to find a dog to turn away from it.

Melody, Jun 23, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs love to eat rice meals and mostly they love eating vegetable. And I do have a dog before that loves to eat fruits. Right now, we also have a dog that loves bread so much.

zararina, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Meat! Any meat. I do make my own dog food, so he regularly gets "people food," but it's cooked and prepared specifically in ratios for the dog's diet, so it's not unhealthy at all.

Jessi, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka loves the dripping/jelly at the bottom of the baked dish of lamb or chicken. I don't give her much to ensure she doesn't put on weight.

argon_0, Jun 24, 2012
  5. Melody

lessi159 New Member

My dog love choclate :)

lessi159, Jul 22, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Talking about dogs eating people food reminds me of Terry, my Spitz mix. She had to have everything that I ate. If I ate watermelon, she wanted watermelon. If I ate durian, she wanted durian. If I drank coffee, she must have her share. The only thing she hadn't tried was my cigarette. She did check out my ash tray, though.

Victor Leigh, Jul 22, 2012
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  7. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Take care with chocolate. Ensure it's the type dogs are allowed to eat. Check out this website.

http://www.dogsandchocolate.net/

[​IMG]

argon_0, Jul 23, 2012
  8. Melody

[​IMG]
    No, thank you. That smells like poison.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
  9. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

My boys do love them some peanut butter as well as cheese. For the most part it's dog food and doggie treats, but on the rare occassion they do have their favorites. If someone is eating Cheese Puffs, watch out, you've got two friends for life, they both love them. Gizmo also enjoys ice cream, Gix not so much, he'd rather have noodles, any kind, plain, sauced, buttered it doesn't matter. We can't even say the word without him flipping out.

Pocs, Aug 2, 2012
  10. Melody

nikki Well-Known Member

Blueberries, grapes, any stone fruit, really theyll take just about anything. Peanut butter has become a favorite recently. We put it in one of those Kong balls and they go nuts. Funniest thing ever. Cheese is one thing they really flip for too.

nikki, Aug 15, 2012
  11. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

My two love apples, plums, and some other fruits, but most of all they love CHEESE. I don't give it to them often, because a small cube of it is the equivalent of feeding a human, half a dozen all butter shortbread biscuits. Since I have to give one of them meds each day, I just stick it in the middle of some fruit. Peanut butter is another love, but it's very fattening, so be careful.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012
  12. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

True, but it's also a source of nutrients, so if you count it as part of their daily diet anyway, then it's not so bad. I make mine peanut butter dog treats sometimes.

Jessi, Aug 16, 2012
  13. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My dog loves all the food and he doesn't care if it's human food or dog food. He'll eat it anyway, because he is always hungry. But his favourite would be cooked buckwheat and cheese. He also loves the butter:D .

claudine, Sep 2, 2012
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  14. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

The short answer? ALL of it. haha. My dog will eat anything you hand him. We're very careful not to give him dangerous people food and he doesnt' get much but he usually gets a bite when we're done with dinner each night.

MakingCents, Sep 4, 2012
  15. Melody

iluvmario Well-Known Member

My dogs like any people food because I don't feed them people food often. They especially like meat, bacon, chicken etc. They will eat fruit and vegetables too. None of my previous dogs would eat fruits or vegetable.

iluvmario, Dec 2, 2012
  16. Melody

There is a certain advantage in having a dog which can live on human food. It saves quite a lot of money because you don't have to buy any specialized dog food. Dogs where I live are mostly brought up on human food. They have learned to eat rice and left-overs for generations and so they thrive on it.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
  17. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

In the US, it depends. Cheap dog food is super cheap....and much cheaper than giving them human food. For me personally, I know I can make it cheaper than high quality (read: more expensive dog food), but I make an effort to buy meats when they're on sale, in bulk, etc. In general, though, cheap dog food is going to save you a lot more money than feeding them your own food here.

Jessi, Dec 2, 2012
  18. Melody

Oh yes, I forget that people over there eat a lot of meat. Prime meat, too. Over here, meat is a treat. Fish is more commonly eaten. So the dogs learn to eat rice with left-over veggies. Some even learn to eat fish bones but usually the cats get the fish bones.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
  19. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well it's not just that people eat meat here....

Dogs are carnivores. As descendants of wolves, they need a high amount of protein to be healthy anyway. So while they may survive on rice and veggies okay, that's really not what their diet was intended to be in general.

Jessi, Dec 3, 2012
  20. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Oh this is hard Buddy and Oso seem to love all people food, LOL. But, I think they are definitely partial to meat. They especially love turkey needless to say they enjoyed Thanksgiving a great deal.

pafjlh, Dec 3, 2012
    Johanna likes this.
Ask a Question