Your Dog is Too Smart

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Dec 13, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Did you know dogs can do a lot of things and more...

1. They can sense sadness.
    2. They can sense anger and fear.
    3. They can sniff if your sick.
    4. They can be sneaky like people.

Read more about what dogs can tell here.

haopee, Dec 13, 2012
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I knew those things as I could also observed it to our dogs. We could observe their reaction on several situations just like if they are guilt of something and they got jealous. :p

zararina, Dec 13, 2012
  3. haopee

Bloomsie Member

In all honesty, anything with a brain can be considered smart. It's just what you define smart as. I've noticed that the animals in my house knew when to stay away or cuddle when different emotions would come out. I think there was a night where I was just completely depressed that both my dog, Roman, and my cat, Wolfy, jumped on my bed and cuddled with me throughout the night. It was peaceful and warm. Definitely a great observation to point out though. There are seriously some people out there that believe animals are just animals and they don't have a sense of feeling or personality. Just these few bullets already determine the awareness that animals DO have senses related to humans.

Bloomsie, Dec 14, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

So true haopee, I see it every day.
    Mishka knows when I am jolly and will definitely try me out and get a game out of me. She has a particular looks on her face that tells me what she is feeling.
    This morning she was wet from being out in the rain. She looked so sad when I told her not to come upstairs. :(

argon_0, Dec 15, 2012
  5. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if my Homer can sense when I'm sad, he is too focused on himself. But he helps me anyway - stroking his hair and his little head always cheers me up a bit. And he definitely is sneaky like a human, oh, he is very sneaky. He also knows when somebody is sick. I remember he was acting strange round my Aunt when she was really sick. He avoided her, even though normally he loved her company.

claudine, Dec 16, 2012
  6. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

These things don't surprise me at all. Dogs are incredibly intuitive, more so than humans, I think.

I know that Misha is bothered when I cry. If I am watching a sad movie or news story and cry, she will get this concerned look on her face. She may not understand the "why", but she understands the emotion. So, I guess they do know when we express sadness.

Melody, Dec 17, 2012
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Revoked privileges can ruin a dog's life! LOL.

I can imagine Mishka's sadness. Peanuts has this look when I'm mad at her. It's like a telepathic message screaming, "Pity me or you'll never forget this face. Pity me!"

haopee, Dec 18, 2012
  8. haopee

Bloomsie Member

I've seen quite a bit of animals do that. I think anything that feels negative they stray away from. Whether it be sickness, anger, and sadness. But it also depends on their personality, too. Sometimes animals, in general, don't know what to do with this negativity that they either ignore or stay away from it. I was lucky to have pets that come comfort me, but maybe Homer is just a bit sensitive on how to deal with it. With time maybe he'll comfort the way he should. :)

Bloomsie, Dec 19, 2012
  9. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It's true. You don't have to be so hard on your dog. They seem to get the message fast and will do anything to please you again.
    If children were just as easy.
    Dogs. Don't you just love them. :)

argon_0, Dec 19, 2012
  10. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I think maybe he was just scared because he felt that something is very wrong. We didn't know it then but it were the last days of my Aunt's life. He probably just didn't know what to do and what is happening.

claudine, Dec 20, 2012
  11. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

Wow that was a great article! There is a lot on there that I did not know. I didn't know that a dog actually pays attention to human interaction. Seems they're kind of nosy :D .

shdws, Dec 22, 2012
  12. haopee

tajnz Well-Known Member

Aren't dogs incredible. I think they're a lot smarter than most people suspect. I have a friend who is a counselor and her Labrador Retreiver can sense when someone is sad or upset and he'll go up to them to comfort them. :) I met my friend through theatre and while her dog was sick she'd bring him along to rehearsals, there were some sad scenes in this play and she'd have to explain to him that it was just acting as he'd get really concerned and try to get up onto the stage to comfort the actors. Awww...

tajnz, Dec 22, 2012
Ask a Question