You, your dog(s) & their names

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SweetBeast, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Hi all,

What is behind your dogs(& other pets) names? Is there a rich story, you base their name on someone in particular, on personality, or ?

Bobbi was caught by a Board member of Humane Shelter. His name was Bob, but once they knew she was not a male dog, she became Bobette! But she is just not prissy, or French (!) enough to be a Bobette, nor is she a tomboy so she quickly became Bobbi, or Bobs for short

Yours?!

SweetBeast, Jan 5, 2013
  2. SweetBeast

Jessi Well-Known Member

Buddy is a generic name, but it fits our dog perfectly. He was already named when we got him. The woman who owned him previously, though, really only did have him as her 'only buddy', though....a widow with little family, few friends, and never left her house. It was just her and Buddy.

Jessi, Jan 6, 2013
  3. SweetBeast

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Thanks Jessi & I use & have used the term buddy for all my pets at one time or another. And such a bittersweet story of Buddy's former mom...thanks for sharing

SweetBeast, Jan 6, 2013
  4. SweetBeast

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is named after a poet. I think it's a very cute name for such a small but yet very proud dog. He almost immediately started reacting to it so I think he likes it:D

claudine, Jan 6, 2013
  5. SweetBeast

haopee Well-Known Member

We had a black Labrador named Buddy. But I wasn't that close to him though. He was my mom's dog and was given to her all grown. He was thin because back then my mom didn't know that dogs actually needed dog food so she fed him rice and left over just like how most dogs are being fed in our country.

One particular name I remember giving my dog is "Uling". In our country, it's a term used for Coal and although Coal sounds like a great name for a dog, Uling pronounced "Oo-ling" wasn't. She despised calling him by that name but it eventually grew on her. The funny part was when my mom called his name, someone thought she was selling her and asked how much it cost.

haopee, Jan 9, 2013
  6. SweetBeast

Lex Active Member

All of my pets' names come from some kind of basis. My family has four dogs, you see, and two cats. Dobby, our chihuahua mix, is named after a Harry Potter character; our Black Lab, Dumbledore, is as well. Alice, our brand new six-month-old kitten, is named after Alice Kingsley - from Alice's Adventures In Wonderland! Sibyl, who is actually my girlfriend's cat, is named after a character from The Picture of Dorian Gray. Doris is thought to be named after Doris Day; we adopted her from a shelter, so we aren't sure of the actual origin of her name, unfortunately. The only pet that we really have that isn't named after someone or something particular is Bandit; he came with that name and he seems to absolutely love it, so we've opted to leave it, as is!

Lex, Jan 9, 2013
  7. SweetBeast

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha is a name that I've always loved. I used to call Sierra my little Meesh. I sort of knew that at some point I would name a dog Misha. When I was given this 2 lb. Jack Russell Terrier, the name just seemed to fit.

Sierra was something I liked the sound of. It comes from the mountain range in California. (The Sierra Nevadas)

I think I must like names that end in "a".

Melody, Jan 9, 2013
Ask a Question