Would You Use Dog Cologne?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ACSAPA, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My daughter and I were at Walmart recently and we started laughing because in the pet section, we spotted dog cologne available in 2 scents that can make your dog smell like raspberries or baby powder.
    What do you think of this idea? Would you ever buy something like that?

ACSAPA, Aug 27, 2013
  2. ACSAPA

zararina Well-Known Member

That was new too me and I have never seen one yet here even on a pet store.
    I think the idea is cool but I would not let our dog or dogs use it since I am sensitive with colognes ad perfumes. :p

zararina, Aug 27, 2013
  3. ACSAPA

claudine Well-Known Member

It would be so cute if Homer smelled like strawberries. Usually, he smells like...well, like him, which means not very pleasant, since he doesn't let me bathe him.
    I wouldn't buy the cologne though, because I know that he wouldn't like it. He hates artificial scents.

claudine, Aug 27, 2013
  4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I saw it at Walmart, next to the fruit scented dog shampoo.
    Dogs are so sensitive to smell that I wonder if the cologne bothers them.

ACSAPA, Aug 28, 2013
  5. ACSAPA

amundy8 Active Member

No way. I couldn't waste my money like that. I haven't seen that yet, but I have smelled it on dogs before. I'm not sure if it's dog cologne or just the scent of their home. Its no telling how much that costs, though. If that's the case, I would just let him use my cologne. Some human cologne or shampoo have fruity smells too.

Anything for these stores nowadays to make more money. Besides the cost, it would seem like those smells could mess with their senses since they have a strong sense of smell.

amundy8, Aug 28, 2013
  6. ACSAPA

I don't think that putting your perfume on your dog is a good idea, Amundy8, even if it have a fruity smell. It could cause an allergic reaction. Also, the dog could get poisioned if he tried to lick it.

claudine, Aug 29, 2013
  7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I was at Walmart again today and noticed that they expanded the fancy dog grooming products. Today I noticed nail polish for dogs, spray on dog shampoo that is blueberry scented, unscented coat freshening spray in case you want to basically Febreze your dog, and strawberry scented leave in conditioner for dogs.

The company that makes all these products is Bed Head, which is known for making human hair styling products. The one product I would buy for Stefano is the blueberry scented spray shampoo that you brush out, because Stefano is terrified of baths and trembles like I'm trying to drown him.

ACSAPA, Aug 29, 2013
  8. ACSAPA

Nail polish for dogs?:eek: This is an absurd. Who would buy such a thing?
    But I agree about the shampoo, I think that it may be a pretty good idea, since so many dogs (mine included) don't like bathing. I would prefer it to be odorless though, since I'm pretty sure that Homer would find the blueberry scent annoying.

claudine, Aug 29, 2013
  9. ACSAPA

amundy8 Active Member

I didn't say that I do that. I'm just saying that if the expense were the case, because I've never bought any of those special dog products for my dog. Those are considered unecessary items. Flea and tick shampoo suits me just fine. Also I have seen people who have their dogs' paws painted with nail polish, but not sure if it was dog polish or human polish. I don't think human polish is harmful to them though.

amundy8, Aug 29, 2013
  10. ACSAPA

I think that it's better not to use any human cosmetics on dogs. Although I must say that I'm not too fond of my Homer's scent. Even when the lights are turned off I always know where he lies, because I can smell him, lol:p

claudine, Aug 31, 2013
  11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I agree that they're unnecessary items, but I found them amusing and I had a good laugh looking at them.

I think I will buy the the blueberry spray in shampoo that brushes out, because my dog is seriously terrified of baths.

ACSAPA, Aug 31, 2013
  12. ACSAPA

argon_0 Well-Known Member

There's no way I would buy perfumes for Mishka for 3 reasons. Firstly I can't stand the smell of perfume and I only use unperfumed shampoo and conditioner on Mishka. Secondly I reall don't think a dog would like the smell and thirdly I just finished a book that tells of the chemicals and affects on humans and animals.
    If you wish to read a book that may change the way you bur products then I recommend it. The perfumes that they use will shock you.
    http://blog.booktopia.com.au/2010/05/21/slow-death-by-rubber-duck-by-rick-smith-and-bruce-lourie/

argon_0, Sep 2, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  13. ACSAPA

Aragon_0, thank you for sharing the article. It's so scary, but I'm glad that I read it. Chemicals are dangerous, I don't know why people keep buying products that contain so many of them.:confused:

claudine, Sep 2, 2013
  14. ACSAPA

trishgl Well-Known Member

In deference to a dog's powerful sense of smell I wouldn't use a cologne on my pet. A relative of mine loves to spray on a lot of cologne at the start of the day. The better for the scent to stay on longer according to him. When he passes by I feel like gagging. Since dog's have a keen sense of smell a bit of cologne might possibly have an overpowering effect on him. Like me to my relative's cologne then I would never willingly have her go through that.

trishgl, Sep 3, 2013
  15. ACSAPA

Trishgl, I have a relative who loves cologne too, I avoid him:p
    I think that dogs don't like artificial smells in general. Even if it's a cologne made for dogs, they still may find it annoying, especially if it's intense. Homer always wrinkles his nose when he smells something with a strong scent. He looks very cute when he does it, but I know that he is annoyed.

claudine, Sep 3, 2013
Ask a Question