Would you rename a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I was reading an article about how to get your dog to respond to and learn a new name. The examples they gave were if you adopted a dog that previously had a name and you wanted to give it a new one, or that maybe the name you chose doesn't really fit your dog.

For me personally, though, I've never renamed an animal. Their name is their name, even if I didn't choose it myself. Would you rename one or have you in the past?

Jessi, Apr 3, 2012
  2. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Yes, all of my animals who I have adopted from shelters I have changed their name. I like to give them the name that I pick out for them. We usually keep their shelter name as their 'middle' name.

MakingCents, Apr 4, 2012
  3. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

I always given the task of naming our dogs in the family and when we had adopted a dog which is just a stray puppy before, we are not sure if he already has a name so we named him.
    My cat used to be the cat of our neighbor and left behind when they changed place. And I did not change his name since I think it will be hard for him to learn a new name being an old cat already. ;)

zararina, Apr 4, 2012
  4. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, I've renamed the dogs we've adopted and it wasn't that hard a task to make them remember their new names simply because they didn't remember their old names in the first place.

haopee, Apr 4, 2012
  5. Jessi

King Browny Well-Known Member

I won’t if they are already accustomed with their name. They don’t make a decision to choose a name for themselves they just stick to the name we give them. Anyway, they aren’t choosy. It’s like whatever you call them they will be enthusiastic and say “Alright! That’s me!“ Whatever they are given they will love it (especially coming from their master). :D

King Browny, Apr 6, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the bulk so far saying they do rename them. I can't imagine renaming a human baby if I were to adopt after them already having a name, so I sort of see it in the same light.

Jessi, Apr 15, 2012
  7. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I guess the difference is that in order to get a dog your pretty much have to adopt one. YOu can't give birth to one yourself :) And I actually do know people who have renamed human babies, they keep their 'original name' as part of their name but sometimes call them something else.

MakingCents, Apr 15, 2012
  8. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to rename any animal that I got. I wouldn't want to confuse them. Besides, the name becomes a part of the dog's personality. That just feels like asking if you should change your kid's name because it doesn't suit their personality or because you don't like their name.

dkramarczyk, Apr 22, 2012
  9. Jessi

kinser Well-Known Member

I would if I truly disliked the name (in fact, I had to rename a kitty that we thought was a female as a tiny kitten; when it became, uh, apparent that the cat was a male, we had no choice but to change the name, LOL). Animals can adapt to a new name.

kinser, Apr 22, 2012
  10. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have done it a couple of times before. Not really that difficult. Just use the new name every time you feed the dog. Soon it will associate the new name with food. So when you call it by the new name, it will come.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
Ask a Question