Would you pay for poop removal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Jessi, May 22, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Holy cow. I can't say I necessarily enjoy scooping poop, but I never thought about there being a company that'd do it for me either, ha.

Jessi, May 22, 2012
  2. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

...I'm more interested in the fact they make so much money out of scooping doodie.

Then again, I'm probably the only guy around here that picks up his dog's wastes in this country. There IS a law about picking up your pet's poop when in public places, here, but nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, seems to respect it except me. Their dog just does its business, and they go along when they're done. Honestly, it bothers me a lot.

That said, if I could make a part time job out of that, well, I'd do it.

NewDCD, May 22, 2012
  3. Jessi

King Browny Well-Known Member

I also scoop my dog’s poop because sometimes they pooped as we walk along the subdivision. Our dog’s poop, of course, is our responsibility. But some of my dogs have sense to poop in those far grassland or vacant ground. They take it as their lavatory. I cover the poop on vacant ground with earth.

King Browny, May 23, 2012
  4. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that I do not need such service. :p
    I clean poop of my dogs and although it was not an enjoyable thing to do, I can manage to do it by myself.

zararina, May 23, 2012
  5. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

That must be really frustrating NewDCD. Not only is it sucky that they don't clean up theirs and you likely run across it.....but it's also sad that you're following the law and they're not, but not getting punished for it at all.

Jessi, May 23, 2012
  6. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

I could see a facility or a dog park hiring a business like this, but not an individual. I pick up Misha's poop immediately. Small dogs make small poop. If I don't pick it up immediately, I will lose it in the grass. You know what happens then! I end up with it on my shoe.

New DCD, I live in a nice middle class neighborhood. I'm always avoiding dog poop on the sidewalk. We have problems with loose dogs in the neighborhood. I don't know if it's because of those dogs or there are owners who think that they don't have to pick up their dog's offerings. Maybe they think we hired someone to do it for them.

Melody, May 25, 2012
  7. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

With my trusty stick broom and plastic dustpan, I sweep the poop of my dogs. I'm glad I switched them to dog food. Now, their stool is firm and sweeping them isn't an issue. I've also asked my partner to dig a tiny compost pit for my dog's poop so that they go back to the soil and probably provide nutrients to the grasses that surround the area.

Here's an interesting article to read. Composting Project Puts 12 Tons of Dog Poop to Good Use

haopee, May 25, 2012
  8. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

In the ideal world perhaps I would use this service but at $12 (US) per removal it's a little pricey. :eek: Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the droppings in my garden until the service came to remove them. :eek::( It's an innovate idea though I remember thinking of a similar scheme as a child and wondering if it would ever exist.

tajnz, Jun 30, 2012
  9. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Wait, you mean somebody really paid that company to do that? What a way to make some filthy lucre! We don't have this problem where I used to live. You know, the lane that had three sets of strays on guard duty. All of us just took care of the stuff in front of our houses. Nobody paid anybody to do what should be done by everybody.

Victor Leigh, Jun 30, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, somebody really paid the company to do it. Actually, LOTS of people paid them to do it or they wouldn't be able to stay in business. I can't imagine doing it myself, but whatever floats their boats, I guess.

Jessi, Jun 30, 2012
  11. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Can't imagine doing it yourself? Does the "it" refer to the paying or the poop-scooping? Personally, if I have nothing better to do and I need the money, I have no problem with scooping poop if someone would pay me to do it.

Victor Leigh, Jul 1, 2012
  12. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

The "it" is the paying for it. I can't imagine paying someone to clean up like this. I don't particularly enjoy it, by any means, but I don't mind it either. There's no reason to shell out cash for someone else to do it.

Jessi, Jul 1, 2012
  13. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Could you imagine putting something like this on your resume? "So what did you do at your last job?"..."Picked up dog poop." I wonder if they have some sort of official name for it too.

OhioTom76, Oct 15, 2012
  14. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I can't imagine paying for it. But That's because I live ina condo community where I have to pick up his poop everytime he goes. I suppose if I had a fenced in backyard and he went in and out on his own accord. I wouldn't know if he pooped so maybe then it would be worth it.

MakingCents, Oct 16, 2012
  15. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh definitely. Resumes and interviews are all about finding professional ways of describing menial or ridiculous jobs. I would say they likely called this "waste removal." Or if you want to really stretch it, maybe something like "head of the environmental cleanup department."

Jessi, Oct 16, 2012
  16. Jessi

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't pay for the service my self, but then to be honest my dogs seldom leave our home or backyard. We clean up after them there, and always have. I can understand why parks, beaches and other public places would see the need for such a service. Not everyone will pick up after their dog which is sad, so in order to keep things clean you need a service to clean things up. I guess its a great business to get into if you want to make good money, to be honest though I would do it.

pafjlh, Oct 16, 2012
  17. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

This thread kind of reminded me of the bathroom attendants that were at a restaurant I was at in New York once. I didn't even know there was such a thing. When I went to go wash my hands I was looking all over the counter for some soap and out of the corner of my eye, some strange guy squirted it into my hands. At first I was like "what the hell?!", then I saw the tip basket and realized what was happening, lol. Could you imagine standing in a bathroom all day doing that?

OhioTom76, Oct 17, 2012
  18. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience, although not nearly as nice, and also in New York. It was a Saturday night, we were at a club, and I was not only the DD, but also the one practically babysitting the drunks that night while we were out. I was shuffling some girls back out of the bathroom and the attendant flipped out on me, telling me that next time, I should tip because it was "the right thing to do." That'd be great and all, but she didn't do a thing for them. I was the one that got them soap, washed their hands, fixed their hair, etc, while she stood there glaring at us. I can't help it that it was obnoxiously loud in general or that girls were coming and going like crazy, but she sure didn't need to be snippy with me over it!

Ok, so that derailed... But anyway, that was also my first experience of having an attendant in a bathroom. I can only imagine how miserable it is to do it in a busy place like I was in.

Jessi, Oct 18, 2012
  19. Jessi

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't. I think it's sheer laziness that people don't, or want to pay someone else to pick up dog mess. It's like having a child, if you don't want to change nappies, deal with vomit, crying and all the stuff that goes with raising a child, then don't have a child. Íf you want a dog, you've got to be prepared to pick up their poo, no matter what time it is, or where it is. Dog ownership isn't just about training and having cuddles with your dog. It's about making sure they're fed, picked up after, nursed and cared for when they're ill, and you can't be squeamish about any of that.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 18, 2012
  20. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

On a related note, how do you feel about nannies then? Are they fine so long as parents are willing to do those things occasionally? Or do you disagree with them entirely?

Jessi, Oct 18, 2012
Ask a Question