Would You Allow a Vet to Put Muzzle On Your Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Sep 20, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Last week, we have to take Capone in for his following shot, and the first thing came of the vet's mouth when he entered the room was: "Will put a muzzle on him, I have a bad vice". Needless to say, I asked him why? When he insisted that he "has a bad vice", I reminded him that he HIMSELF gave Capone FIVE shots 6 weeks ago.

With an angry voice I said: I don't want any muzzle on my dog, and in the back of my head I was thinking how dramatic an experience like this will have on my Capone. I also asked for another VET.

Now, he is a heavy and big man! I know right away that bending down isn't workable for him, but to put a muzzle on my dog when he did nothing to him, not even a bark or a growling.

Long story short, the nurse told me that there will be no muzzle on Capone, and told the vet that he was the one who did the shots last time. She asked me and my son to step out of room so he can give Capone the shot. I was not happy but complied just to get it over with. Later on, she told me that because of his weight and his inability to lower himself, he is afraid of every big dog. She said I have to right to ask for another vet, next time.

Would you allow a vet to put a muzzle on your dog when it isn't called for?

IcyBC, Sep 20, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'd not if I know my dog would find that traumatic and make him panic going to the vet even more. Sometimes you just have to stand your ground. I think that guy meant well, but I'd also consider asking for a different vet next time around. After all it sounds like your sweet boy doesn't mind getting his shots or going to the vet at all ;D

Trellum, Sep 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Oh dear. You had quite an experience. I am glad things turned well in the end. I honestly don't know what I would do. Often I proceed based on the vibes I get. I don't normally like the sound of muzzles. All I know for sure is I would have to be fully convinced it was absolutely necessary. You were not and you took a stand. Good for you and Capone.

Sounds like the vet needs to drop a few pounds like me. :)

Winterybella, Sep 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum , I will ask or demand for another vet next time for sure! If Capone shows some kinds of aggression then the muzzle is suitable, but he just wagged his tail and being excited. After all, he is just a dog seeing new people coming into the room. I don't know what that vet wanted him to do, just play dead?

@Winterybella , I think my instinct kicked in to protect Capone from having such a horrible nightmare! I can't imagine watching someone putting a muzzle on him when he has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but wagged his tail.

IcyBC, Sep 22, 2015
  5. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer is very aggressive and doesn't hesitate to bite, but I don't think I'd let anyone put muzzle on him. It's a vet's job to know how to deal with animals without using violence and how to calm them down.

claudine, Sep 23, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

If Capone shows any sign of aggression then I think I can stomach it, but he didn't. Besides, he only needed one following up and how hard is that when the vet himself gave him 5 shots just six weeks before. I don't think he should even be working with animals giving the fact that he is too big to crouch down or feeling comfortable with big dogs.

I hate stereotyped people when they see Pitbull, they assume the worst in the breed.

IcyBC, Sep 23, 2015
  7. IcyBC

To be honest, there was a time when I was scared of Pitbulls too. But that was before I met Homer:) When I became a dog owner, I realized there is no such thing as 'bad breeds'. A dog won't attack you if you know how to act around them. The vet should know it.

claudine, Sep 25, 2015
  8. IcyBC

Claudine I did not realise Homer was a 'bite'r. I thought he only had bark like those three or four I have. I can't be sure about my big dog as I really don't want him to bite anyone. Zola and Remy bark and run. Ginger is yet to be fully determined.

Winterybella, Sep 26, 2015
  9. IcyBC

Oh yes, Homer bites us whenever he's angry or bored:confused: But of course he never bites hard enough to break skin. He's not evil:) I think he just wants us to be a little scared of him;)

claudine, Sep 27, 2015
  10. IcyBC

:):):) Well Ginger seems to be bite dog. I spoke about it earlier but these days the supposed friendly fights might be causing a problem. I saw what looks like a nasty bite on Zola's ear and I am thinking it's from the rough play. I am starting to think this little one needs a muzzle. With her energy and sharpness, I am sure she'd destroy that as well. The only thing she destroys that I might be happy about are my bills. I left some statements and bills to pay on my chair and came back and found some all bitten up.

Winterybella, Sep 27, 2015
  11. IcyBC

When Homer was a puppy, he stole a money bill from me and tore it up:eek: It was my fault, because I left it on the floor and he probably thought it's a toy:rolleyes:
    I hope Ginger won't bite Zola again! It would be really awful if they started fighting:(

claudine, Sep 27, 2015
Ask a Question