Winter bath-time solution

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MakingCents, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MakingCents

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I have a big dog who is typically pretty clean/not smelly or greasy. He does not so much enjoy his bath time so we don't give too often. Usually one in the spring, one in the summer and one before it gets too cold outside.

The problem is, all of a sudden he's very smelly and his hair/skin is oily or greasy. It's clear he needs a bath, but it's 30 some odd degrees outside so I'm not sure what to do... He's not fond of other dogs at all so taking him to one of those dog wash places is not an option. I"m half-tempted to take him to the vet and see if they'll bathe him.

MakingCents, Dec 3, 2011
  2. MakingCents

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I think the vet would be a really good idea, or put him in the tub at home (if you have a tub) and give him a bath that way. I mean, as long as you keep him inside until he is all dry, he should be fine.

wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
    summerRain likes this.
  3. MakingCents

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe you could just give him a quick bath using a not so cold water. And better if he could take a bath inside and not outdoor. Or if you find it easier to bring him to the vet, it could be a good solution.

zararina, Dec 6, 2011
  4. MakingCents

Well we bought some 'grooming wipes' at the pet store. Seems to have taken care of the problem at least for now. The grease is gone from his skin and he's not so smelly. Maybe if it gets worse again after that we'll head to the vet and ask for a bath :)

MakingCents, Dec 8, 2011
  5. MakingCents

King Browny Well-Known Member

If he needed a bath that badly, maybe you can share your shower. It’s only this one time anyway. :p

King Browny, Dec 17, 2011
  6. MakingCents

I'd be willing to do that but he HATES the bath (my dog is a bit high maintenance) I'm afraid he's scratch either me, the shower or both to death trying to get out! For now the grooming wipes have worked.

MakingCents, Dec 18, 2011
  7. MakingCents

King Browny Well-Known Member

Oh my. The way you describe it is like bathing would be a threat to your harmonious relationship. Thanks for the grooming wipes, all is well. :)

King Browny, Dec 19, 2011
  8. MakingCents

Haha very true. Just glad he's not one of those super stinky dogs! I also plan to use the grooming wipes in the winter when he goes out in the snow and there may be yuckys alt chemicals on the ground.

MakingCents, Dec 19, 2011
  9. MakingCents

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

How about a hot bath? It might work. Alternatively you can use a dry shampoo. It's just like a powder. You dust the entire dog with it, then comb it out. I use that when I don't have time to give my Shih Tzu a proper bath.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  10. MakingCents

Nick87 Well-Known Member

You can bathe your dog in your home's bathtub, just know you'll probably have to clean out your bathtub afterwards, too.
    Some dog grooming places will bathe him for you, too.

Nick87, Dec 19, 2011
  11. MakingCents

Never heard of the dry shampoo. I'll have to try it if the grooming wipes become no long sufficient. Thanks for the advice!

MakingCents, Dec 20, 2011
  12. MakingCents

13. MakingCents

Thanks for the information! I think I might pick some up at the pet store and see if I prefer it to the grooming wipes. We'll see works better for my crazy boy.

MakingCents, Dec 22, 2011
  14. MakingCents

summerRain Well-Known Member

I am with you. It is still better to consult the vet for this kind of problem. Maybe it has something to do with his health or what so over.

summerRain, Dec 22, 2011
  15. MakingCents

amy005 Well-Known Member

Good to know about the dry shampoo and wipes.. I just do not have the time to give my dog baths and he needs one at least once a month since his hair is so long and curly!

amy005, Dec 22, 2011
  16. MakingCents

No it wasn't a problem, it was just typical doggy grunge. Just happened quicker than it usually does. Wipes took care of the grunge.

MakingCents, Dec 23, 2011
  17. MakingCents

Don't the pet shops in your area offer dog bathing services. They usually do a very good job and may not be too expensive.

Victor Leigh, Dec 24, 2011
Ask a Question