Will You Switch Vets if One of Your Dogs Died Under Her Watch?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by haopee, Jul 1, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I wasn't online for awhile because of personal reasons. That, and the fact that one of our pack members died.

China didn't come back from the vet:( . He became lethargic so we immediately brought him to the clinic. The vet said that he tested positive for erlichia but the medicine for it was pretty effective. I was thankful that we caught it on time as China was still wagging his tail, could walk and drink water. It meant that his chances of recovering should be strong.

But that night, the vet called saying China had dramatically weakened. She said that she gave him a heart-rate increasing med because of his weak heartbeat. This fact disturbs me alot because erlichia is a bleeding disorder.

The next day, she sends us a text message saying China is gone... I don't trust her anymore.

haopee, Jul 1, 2013
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Sorry for that. :(
    If you do not trust your vet anymore, I think it is really better to change vet. There could be a better or even best vet around to ensure that this case will not happen again.

zararina, Jul 1, 2013
  3. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

Haopee, I'm so sorry for your loss! It must be heartbreaking to lose a dog. I'm sure that China was a wonderful friend and a part of your family:(
    If I were you, I would definitely look for a different vet.

claudine, Jul 2, 2013
  4. haopee

Jezebella Member

I'm so sorry that happened to you. While the vet may have done nothing wrong, and dogs do die even when a vet is doing everything possible to help them, I think that if you an uncomfortable you should find a different vet. I love my vet, she was my 4-H leader when I was a kid. I remember when it was time to put my goat down, she came in to work even though she wasn't scheduled because she wanted to make sure she was there for me. I am totally comfortable with doing whatever she suggests when my animals aren't well. I am moving soon though, and I am nervous about finding another vet. I am hoping I can find a vet I trust as much as I trust my current vet. If the vet doesn't feel like a good fit though I will keep looking rather than stay with a vet who I'm not sure of.

Jezebella, Jul 3, 2013
  5. haopee

trishgl Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that this had to happen. I've not had a dog pass on due to illness. Mostly my dogs had died of old age or an accident. Going back to your Vet, you could ask for another Vet's opinion if the treatment that was given to China was appropriate. If after a 2nd opinion and some research you are not satisfied that the treatment was correct then of course do change Vets. Just like with all professionals, not all are created equal. Usually the more experienced ones can give better care than new graduates.

trishgl, Jul 3, 2013
  6. haopee

sasha32 Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with the suggestion to get a second opinion. Notifying you by text message seems very cold and unprofessional. That behavior would make me switch vets right away, even if there was nothing else that was wrong. The office staff should have called you.

I also would recommend contacting your state's veterinary licensing board. If you decide not to sue, I would file a written report so that they can investigate the vet. There is a really helpful article in the Washington Post about what to do in a case of suspected malpractice. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45754-2004Sep23.html

sasha32, Jul 3, 2013
  7. haopee

Becky Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that, must be devastating for you and your family :(

Becky, Jul 4, 2013
  8. haopee

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss and I would switch vets because it seems odd that she gave him medicine to speed up his heartbeat when he had a bleeding disorder.
    It is so tacky that she sent you a text message to let you know your beloved pet was gone. I don't blame you for not trusting her and you should move on to another vet.

ACSAPA, Jul 5, 2013
Ask a Question