Wild Dogs... When Dogs Run Free

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by argon_0, May 26, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Believed to have been introduced 5000 years ago, the dingo’s status as a native or introduced species in Australia has been a controversy
    Did you know of the dingo/wild dog proof fence in Australia?
    Should the pure bred dingo population still be controlled?
    Is 5,000 years long enough to say they are a part of the environment?
    The problem is dingos have bred with domestic dogs producing wild dogs.
    Check out this Video
    http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2823682.htm

argon_0, May 26, 2012
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

First time to know about that dingos here.
    I think if they can become harmful like carrier of rabies or diseases and a threat, they should be controlled.

zararina, May 26, 2012
  3. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

As yet Australia is free of rabies though it's possible that it could arrive from the islands of Indonesia to Papua New Guinea which is very close to the top of Australia.From there it could be brought in where it could get into the large wild dog population.The dingo now is considered to be a unique breed of dog and there's a lot of support for its survival. It's the mix breeding of dogs creating the wild dog which is now the big problem.
    http://www.dingodiscovery.net/index.php

argon_0, May 27, 2012
  4. argon_0

King Browny Well-Known Member

If dingoes are controlled in such a way it can be prohibited to mate with domesticated dogs, then the problem on producing wild dogs is answered, that is if their species are being restrained in their sanctuary. Because wild dingoes running free, there’s really a big probability that they would mix with other kind of dogs. I like how they look by the way. Somehow, I see a mixed feature of a dog and a fox.

King Browny, May 28, 2012
  5. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I think 5000 years is more than adequate. I think 1 year is enough, honestly.
    No dingos around here. But we do have Coyotes. They breed with dogs, too. Most of what people consider coyotes are actually wild dogs.

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  6. argon_0

Trellum Well-Known Member

Gosh, I have heard a lot bad stuff about dingos, and I certainly wouldn't want to have any of those nearby. i mean, we already have pumas in the mountains! Quite scary if you think about it! Sometimes they come down and end up hunting small dogs and cats.

Trellum, Jun 24, 2015
Ask a Question