Why Is There No Laws Concerning Cats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I live in a neighborhood where people have cats, but they don't take care of them at all. I have seen tiny kittens wandering around the neighborhood looking for warm spots to stay, food to eat, and places to do their droppings. (My front garden became a littler box)

I just don't understand why people bother having cats only to allow them to be strayed and fend for themselves, not to mention using other people's home to do their business. If this was a dog, I am sure someone has called the officials to complaint and animal shelter to pick up the dog.

Anyone knows why there is no law enforcing when it comes to cats?

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Djordje87 Active Member

I have the same problem. Even my uncle who has six cats is just giving them freedom to go around as they wish. You know, I take care of those cats too, but they are not mine. He took them in and they live in his house although we share the yard. Sometimes I think people take cats just because they want a pet but no responsibility whatsoever. Cats are just independent and capable of gathering food. They are predators. Although I have some friends who treat their cats well, some people would say it is in their nature to wander around so it would be cruel not to let them. If I had a cat I would train it and walk it like I walk my dog.

Djordje87, Dec 18, 2015
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I agree and you are right! People want to have a pet but don't want the responsibility of owning a cat. I am seeing two small kittens roaming the street and was sitting on the roof of my garage everyday. They love using my front garden as their litter box and I can tell you, it is gross and stink.

I am now living in a well managed complex and I don't have to see cats using my yard as their disposable waste land. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!

IcyBC, Dec 24, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have wondered the same. In the Netherlands dog owners must pay 70 euros every year, because a lot people likes to walk their dog so they can do their thing elsewhere and not home. But most people I know who have cats,,, let their cats out too! So they don't even need to get a litter box, no, they let the neighbor deal with it instead.

Trellum, Jan 29, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum that was exactly my problem, I have to pick up cat poops all the time since they were in my front garden, which is directly under the window where I sit to work. The smell is terrible and to me is so unhealthy to have around. I hope one day the law for dog goes into effect and apply on cat too.

IcyBC, Feb 3, 2016
  6. IcyBC

Have you found a solution to this yet? I hope you have! I'd hate to be responsible for cleaning someone else's cat poop :( Was the soil in that patch loose? Because I noticed most cats poop in places with loose soil, and rarely do it in places with the firmly packed one.

Trellum, Feb 9, 2016
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

The soil is packed, and I can't even plant any flowers in this area @Trellum ! This problem has been solved because I moved to the condo complex, but guess what, I still see cat poop by my condo. I would just love to slap a ticket to whomever owns the cat. It is just disgusting to be such irresponsible pet owner!

IcyBC, Feb 9, 2016
  8. IcyBC

Oh :( Damn, I had never heard of something like that! Man, those cats sound like a nightmare, glad to read you no longer have to deal with that! Cat poop is so dangerous, specially for pregnant women, not to mention disgusting as well :( I'd totally love seeing cat owners being taxed in the Netherlands, just like it's done with dogs.

Trellum, Feb 28, 2016
  9. IcyBC

remnant Well-Known Member

Cats tend to be ignored in legislation around the world. This has to do with their nature. Cats are smaller in size than dogs. In the human psyche, this is subconsciously interpreted to mean that their care and requirements are minimal. Another reason is that cats are discreet and tend to keep to themselves. They are shy pets. They are more likely to be seen than heard.

remnant, Mar 6, 2016
Ask a Question