Why is my dog doing this??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013.

1. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

My "puppy" Paloma, of 2 years, is acting very strange. Sometimes, when we come home, my puppy will be hurt. She walks around with her head hanging low, and if you try to pick her up, she'll start whining really loudly. She walks really slowly and sits down very uncomfortably. She can't even jump up to her usual sleeping spot. Her meals are the same as usual, nothing has changed within the past 2 years. We thought that it could be constipation, but her droppings are solid, and there isn't anything atypical about them. The other night, she actually would randomly start to whine every hour or so.

The funny thing is, the next day she'll be happy and jolly as if nothing happened. This happens once a week, and my mother doesn't see it as urgent enough to take her to the emergency room. That'd be unnecessary billing if they can't find anything wrong, ya know? We are going to schedule a doctors appointment though. Does anyone know what it might be before we head out?

P.S. We are unsure of her breed. We rescued her about 2 years back. She may be a poodle, Maltese, or a bichon mix.

DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013
  2. DappleGrey

P.S. My puppy is not the one in my avatar.

DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013
  3. DappleGrey

Jessi Well-Known Member

Definitely schedule an appointment. Even if the poop is normal, she could still be having digestion issues. For example, if she's overly gassy or the food is upsetting her tummy, then she may feel whiny/upset/uncomfortable, but still be fine the next day. Is there any chance she's getting into food that she shouldn't be, too?

Jessi, Mar 21, 2013
  4. DappleGrey

For that purpose, we stopped giving her little crackers and stuff. We used to give her table food, yes. But not any at all this month, and this month she seems to be the worse. It actually started in February. You're right, it might be an indigestion issue... I'll have to look more up about that. My mom will schedule an appointment when she gets home. Thank you!

DappleGrey, Mar 21, 2013
  5. DappleGrey

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on with Paloma. It sounds distressing not knowing what's wrong with her. :(
    And of course she must be feeling low key.

argon_0, Mar 22, 2013
  6. DappleGrey

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, take her to see the vet by all means. I am making a wild guess here but it's possible that your dog is missing something. Maybe her old home. Maybe her puppies.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2013
  7. DappleGrey

haopee Well-Known Member

Have you considered that she might have arthritis? I noticed that once in awhile, at night, she does whine for an hour or so. If this is correct, it could be arthritis because sometimes, that worsens during specific times of day (particularly at night). It could also be a joint problem as you mentioned that she's no longer able to jump up her sleeping spot.

At morning, the temperature isn't as cold as it is at night reason why she's up and jolly.

You might want to take her to the vet rather than an ER as it seems to be a recurring thing. At least then, you'll get an idea of what it could be.

Good luck.

haopee, Mar 25, 2013
  8. DappleGrey

trishgl Well-Known Member

If she can eat, drink, pee, move her bowels regularly and isn't bleeding or whining excessively then you may have the option of not going to an emergency room as it is a bit pricey. You do however need to go to your Vet as something is definitely bothering your pet. Remember that a lot of health issues become harder to manage if we leave it unattended for too long. It also becomes more expensive to treat once the condition worsens.

trishgl, Apr 2, 2013
Ask a Question