"Why don't you sniff me back?"

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Jessi, May 17, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Awww!

Do you think dogs ever wonder why we don't lick them like they do us? Or why we never sniff their butts like they do? Ha!

Jessi, May 17, 2012
  2. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Considering they see us, their owners, as the alpha males, I suppose they probably do. However, I also think they might probably attribute it to our alpha position. That said, considering I kiss my little girl on the forehead a lot, I think she'll probably equate that to me "licking" her, hah.

NewDCD, May 18, 2012
  3. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe. ;)
    I think they wonder about some of actions and just thinks it was the right thing we do.
    I usually hug our dog to make him feel he was loved back and tell him he was a nice and handsome dog. ;)

zararina, May 18, 2012
  4. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dogs sniff each others butts because they are looking for their own tail.
    An old but true story

Once upon a time, when dogs ruled the earth, a gala dog ball was organised and all the dogs in the world were invited.
    When the dogs arrived at the ball they checked their tails in at the cloak room, as was the custom in those happy, far-off days.
    It was a wonderful, glittering occasion and all the dogs, regardless of breed or background, danced the night away and were thoroughly enjoying themselves until suddenly the fire alarm sounded.
    The ballroom was alight and an uproarious panic broke out. The vast yelping pack stampeded to the cloak room and in the confusion the tails were mixed up.
    To this day you will see them sniffing each other's tails as they go about their forlorn search for their proper tails. This is the eternal aftermath of the night that THE DOG BALL CAUGHT FIRE...

argon_0, May 18, 2012
  5. Jessi

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

That is so cute and funny! You know I think my dog wonders the same thing, why don't she just give me a big lick on my cheek, lol! I would love to know some of the things they do think about, they sure are smart!

wahcashmom, May 18, 2012
  6. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Well, that's one heck of a story to tell to the kids. Definitely beats the "yeah, there's this thing called anal glands, and dogs are trying to catch the scent in order to identify each other..." explanation, at least when it comes to children. I think I might be using this little story here sometime in the future; I hope you don't mind.

NewDCD, May 18, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  7. Jessi

Why dogs sniff each other's tail is a Tale from a famous Australian Cartoonist Michael Leunig. I read it some years ago and from then on when I see dogs butt sniffing I have the Answer. :) Now you too have it...

http://everything2.com/title/Why+dogs+sniff+each+other%27s+tails
    I thought the italics would show it was a quote?

argon_0, May 19, 2012
  8. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder whether our dogs would like to pat us on our heads like we pat them on theirs?

Victor Leigh, May 19, 2012
  9. Jessi

Maybe when we get their games right they might want to give us a pat and tell us what a good boy we are.

argon_0, May 19, 2012
  10. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

My little girl actually loves to boop my head when she gets the chance. If I'm lying down on the floor, chances are she might pat my forehead with her little paw.

NewDCD, May 20, 2012
  11. Jessi

The only time I had ever been patted on the head my dog was when I was taking a nap on the floor and my dog patted my head to wake me up. Or maybe she just wanted to make sure I was alright.

Victor Leigh, May 21, 2012
  12. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

.....Okay, that's cute. Now I want to draw that. But I can't draw dogs. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

NewDCD, May 21, 2012
  13. Jessi

What you can do is take this cartoon here:
    [​IMG]

Then photoshop in something near to the raised paw.

Victor Leigh, May 21, 2012
  14. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I think I'll probably just search around for easy reference, considering I do like drawing quite a bit. Not that I don't like Scoob, but I gotta improve my skill.

Pic related, I drew this for someone over at another forum.

[​IMG]

NewDCD, May 21, 2012
  15. Jessi

That looks good. Did you do it with a digital stylus and tablet or did you do it with pen and paper?

Victor Leigh, May 22, 2012
  16. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

That's pen and paper. This is with a tablet:

[​IMG]

NewDCD, May 22, 2012
  17. Jessi

Mystique Active Member

Gosh, I remember the day I went house-hunting, and I found a place that I liked a lot (I'm staying at the place now!), so I went in to meet with the landlord and as I stood talking to her on the stoop, a Great Dane and a Labrador stood behind me.... sniffing my butt! My fiancé was busy talking to the landlord and I was busy shooing the dogs away! It was hilarious because they kept coming back.... I did shower, you know! Anyway, Great Dane turned out to be Baby, and the Labrador is Frosty. They love to come around to our place now and I always have treats for them... they don't sniff my butt anymore, and I certainly don't sniff theirs!

Mystique, May 24, 2012
  18. Jessi

They don't have to sniff your butt any more because they have already identified your scent. I have seen dogs doing that only to dogs they haven't met before. Dogs that know each other normally greet with a sniff on the nose.

Victor Leigh, May 25, 2012
Ask a Question