Why do you think dogs are so loyal?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Today my mom and I were having a talk about dogs and cats, she said that to our dog we are like G-ds; we are practically their whole world! They completely adore us, they give us their company no matter what... all they ask is some food and attention in return. They are so loving creatures (unless some humans out there) because they don't judge you; they don't even see your flaws! And if they did... I don't think they'd even care! They seem to see only the good in us...

So in my opinion anyone who owns a dog can tell she/he know the true meaning of love and what is like to be loved truthfully and unconditionally. Some months ago I read one of those nice Facebook photos talking about how some of us ignore our dogs sometimes... we have a whole world outside, but everything they have is us! Yet, sometimes we are so selfish and only think about our worries and we don't pay them a lot attention.

I'm so sorry I didn't take of saving that graphic, it was so beautiful! I'd have shared it here for sure :)

I love cats, I actually own one... but I wonder how come dogs are so loyal and selfless?!

Trellum, Nov 24, 2013
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

We both have a dog and a cat now and I know how different the two are. :p
    Dogs are really loyal as they have more time spent to their owner and they cannot just jump in the roof just like cats. I think it is their instinct to be really loving.

zararina, Nov 24, 2013
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

It's so easy to make Homer happy, it always amazes me. He doesn't need fancy toys nor expensive foods, nor anything like it. A cone, a few carrots and my smile is enough for him:) Dogs always notice when we smile at them, don't they?:)

claudine, Nov 27, 2013
  4. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

I think dogs because they are by nature pack animals, are capable of developing loyalty. It is also just so easy to embrace them into one's family because they are soo loving. We have a 2 yr old chow and from the beginning she has always acted like part of the family. She would join us in the living room when its TV time or join us in the garden when its time to play with the kids. We often kid around that our dog does not know she is a dog and probably thinks she's human.

trishgl, Dec 2, 2013
  5. Trellum

I think your theory is very true :) I guess it has to do a lot with their pack instinct, but despite that... I think their loyalty to humans is really remarkable! I have never heard of an animal with a similar behaviour to the dog when it is with a human. Seriously, no animal seem to feel that way about us!

Trellum, Dec 3, 2013
  6. Trellum

Yes, Magdalena :) Most dogs are so easy to please, and sometimes seeing us happy is good enough to make them feel happpy too. To be honest I don't think we as humans wouldn't get the chance to experience such a selfless love experience if it wasn't for our loved dogs. They truly are amazing, and we are so blessed for having them around!

Trellum, Dec 3, 2013
  7. Trellum

Yeah, I own two dogs and a cat, and even tho my cat is a bit clingy and attached to me...he is also very impulsive, eggocentric and even manipulative at times, lol. Like for example, when he feels he's not getting enough attention, he just leaves from my side and goes out and try to get some attention from the neighbor kids. He was kidnapped once because of that. I saw him after 6 months. All because he got mad when I was busy treating my plants! I love him tho, and I'm so glad he made it back. He must really love me :p

Trellum, Dec 3, 2013
  8. Trellum

There is this joke that somehow always makes me laugh, even though it's so unfair:p:
    [​IMG]
    Haha, this way you can find out whose love is real;):p
    Lol, it's quite funny, isn't it?

claudine, Dec 3, 2013
    Trellum likes this.
  9. Trellum

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! It's soooooooooooo funny because is true ;) LOL, but to be fair I'd alsop be upset if I was locked in a trunk for one hour, lol. But wow... good point! I mean, that only goes to show dogs are the absolute best friend ever man will ever have!

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
  10. Trellum

Lol, I would beat my boyfriend up if he locked me in a trunk:p;) If he did the same to Homer, Homer would just wag his tail and bring him more toys:p Homer loves my boyfriend very much!

claudine, Dec 5, 2013
  11. Trellum

Wow! It seems Homer and your boyfriend get along very well, my dogs seem to have my boyfriend, well, the pug is ok, but the schnauzer seems to be a bit suspicious of him :eek:

Trellum, Dec 9, 2013
  12. Trellum

Homer was barking at my boyfriend when he met him for the very first time, but now they're great friends:) Whenever my boyfriend comes to my home, Homer wants him all to himself, lol:p He brings him toys and wants to be petted all the time.

claudine, Dec 9, 2013
  13. Trellum

Aww, he sounds like a really lucky dog :p For some reason I always thought you'd be more like a cat person, but it seems you're totally devoted to dogs :) It's odd, most people assume I'm a dog person, but then I tell them I love both animals :D

Trellum, Dec 13, 2013
  14. Trellum

To be honest, I think I'm a cat person:p (I'm so happy Homer can't read it, lol, if he could, he would bite me:confused:). I've always liked cats more. But Homer is the sweetest and the cutest little thing and I really love him. I wouldn't change him for a million cats!

claudine, Dec 13, 2013
  15. Trellum

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Genetically dogs are descendents from pack oriented animals who rely on one another for food and companionship. Cats are descendents of more solitary animals so they don't necessarily have the compelling needs for community. I have no doubt my cat loves me just as much as my dog but her needs for the love are different and she shows it differently.

firelily99, Dec 13, 2013
  16. Trellum

This makes sense:) Cats are loners, dogs need company. They're family members. I always wonder if they think they're humans:p I'm pretty sure Homer consider himself human. He loves sitting on a couch next to my father, they always watch TV together, haha:D

claudine, Dec 16, 2013
  17. Trellum

But... have you ever had a cat? I ask because I didn't really know if I was a cat person or not until I got my first cat. Sadly my mom's dog was very vicious :(

Trellum, Dec 16, 2013
  18. Trellum

Very well explained :) I guess it does make sense, cats are more solitary and independent and are always watching their territory. I mean... Have you noticed how they like to touch many things with their bodies? That's because they're marking their territory. It's amazing :)

Trellum, Dec 16, 2013
  19. Trellum

No, I've never owned a cat, but when I was a child, I often played with my neighbour's cat, it was a cute, little creature:) And it was so graceful! Although I love Homer, I must say he isn't graceful at all;) But he sometimes acts like a cat, he loves climbing on things. I once found him on a table:eek:

claudine, Dec 20, 2013
  20. Trellum

Yeah, cats are very graceful and agile :) They can get everywhere! So is probably a good thing you never had one, because cats are in general super nosy and will keep interrupting you and checking the things you have on the table and so on :D If they can eat something... they will :oops:

Did you ever find out how Homer got there?

Trellum, Dec 24, 2013
Ask a Question