Why do dogs eat grass?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by lizzie29, Oct 10, 2012.

1. lizzie29

lizzie29 Member

My auntie lets her dogs eat grass at their backyard all the time. I wondered if this was healthy for the dogs. I asked her if it was alright and she said that it would be fine and it was just normal for dogs to do this but it looks like that they eat the grass almost everyday. I heard that dogs eat grass to cure their upset stomachs.

I wondered if this is true and does it really work? Why do dogs really eat grass? Is it really healthy for them? I was curious about this because I noticed my dog doesn't like to eat grass at all when I take her out. :confused:

lizzie29, Oct 10, 2012
  2. lizzie29

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My father use to say that dogs ate grass as way to settle their stomach. I don't know if this is true though, but I haven't really seen any of my dogs eat grass that often. Usually its when they seem not to be feeling well. The odd thing is that you said that your Aunt's dogs seem to do this all the time. That doesn't seem like something I have seen too often and I have had dogs for most of my life.

pafjlh, Oct 10, 2012
  3. lizzie29

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing. Usually they eat grass when they're sick or trying to make their stomach feel better. I personally have never seen a dog eat grass, so I'm not sure as to the truth behind this.

pilot2fly, Oct 10, 2012
  4. lizzie29

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard it too, it helps them to digest or something like this. My Homer eats grass quite often, especially when I tell him not to do this. He is very willful:p . But I'm really afraid that it'll make him vomit if he eats too much of it.

claudine, Oct 10, 2012
  5. lizzie29

haopee Well-Known Member

There are two reasons why dog eat grass. The first one is it helps in their digestive track and it can also help them regurgitate whatever they've eaten that they're assuming has made them felt bad. The other is when they feel they lack some nutrients. But if they do lack nutrients, they also usually eat their poop or other animals poop and we don't want that.

I allow my dogs to eat grass.

haopee, Oct 11, 2012
  6. lizzie29

iluvmario Well-Known Member

My teacup eats grass from time to time, not really often but it almost always makes her throw up. When I catch it I always make sure to stop her because when I clean it up it leaves grass stains on the carpet and they are so hard to get out.

iluvmario, Oct 23, 2012
  7. lizzie29

megsy23 Member

Dogs eat grass because it coats their stomach. It can cause vomiting which dogs would want to happen if they are feeling ill. If your dog is eating a lot of grass, that could indicate that they are feeling sick. In that case, you should take them to a vet. If they only do it once in awhile, that's fine.

megsy23, Oct 29, 2012
Ask a Question