Why are darker color dogs less popular?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've seen several studies on this. They show that when people get a dog, they are less inclined to get one with darker fur. At shelters, the lighter colored dogs go more quickly.

Why do you think that is? Is it more difficult to see the expressions of a darker colored dog because the eyes are dark colored as well? Is there something unappealing about darker colored dogs? Do people think lighter colored dogs are cleaner? Do people think darker colored dogs are more aggressive? I'm trying to understand the psychology that is going on.

These studies have been done in the US. It makes me wonder if the same statistics hold true for other countries, too.

This article explains a bit about it. They call it "Black Dog Syndrome".
    http://www.blackpearldogs.com/

Melody, Jun 22, 2012
  2. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that people relate darker colored breeds with more agressive dogs. For example, they remind you of Dobermans, and unless you want a guard dog (which most people aren't looking for, as they'd prefer a friendly family dog), you might go with a dog that looks "friendlier". And as you said, it's much easier to tell the expression of a dog with lighter fur.

NewDCD, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

It's sadly true that many people find lighter colored dogs cuter. My first dog named Honey was yellow/blonde and everyone always complimented her on how cute or adorable she was. We eventually adopted her sister Rosie (avatar pic) too as she was returned to the RSPCA by her adoptive owner as she was allergic to her. After a few weeks no one was willing to adopt Rosie and we got a call from the RSPCA if we didn't adopt her they would have to put her down. I wonder if she was less popular with prospective adopters because of her brown coloring? We thought she was really cute though she had a brown and black coat and had the cutest white socks on her paws. :)

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  4. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Among the Chinese, the tendency is to go for darker dogs because, for the Chinese, the main purpose of a dog is to be a watchdog. Of course, I am talking about the traditional Chinese. The modern Chinese are about the same as the Westerners in their tastes concerning dogs.

Myself, I also prefer darker dogs. Black would be the best. It's a personal preference, in my case, since I also like darker women.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

In here, darker dogs are prefer and I actually like dogs whether light colored or dark colored furs. It really does not matter for me as I do not associate it with behavior.

zararina, Jun 23, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Well I guess black dogs are generally thought of as more aggressive or unknown. We do use the term Black Dog which refers to peoples bouts of manic depression.
    Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore had a comedy skit in which the dogs name was Black Havoc.

argon_0, Jun 24, 2012
  7. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Was it a blaxplotation skit in which the dog was the meanest and slickest hubbabubba to have ever lived? Cause that name reminds me of Black Dynamite.

NewDCD, Jun 25, 2012
  8. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No it was an English skit. I tried finding it but with no luck. Here's the type of comedy it was from.maybe early 70's. Far from Blaxploitation.

argon_0, Jun 26, 2012
  9. Melody

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Aww...someone really should make that. Blaxplotation parodies are hilarous! And if it's one of those talking-dog things, one of them should speak entirely in rhyme.

NewDCD, Jun 26, 2012
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

In my area darker color dogs aren't less popular. My Homer has rather dark hair...most of it is dark gold or brown. Like you all already know, I find him the cutest and the prettiest:)
    But, in general, I must admit that I prefer completely white dogs. They just seem more delicate, I'm not sure why.

claudine, Jun 30, 2013
  11. Melody

sasha32 Member

Two of my three dogs are black dogs. One is a Newfoundland/Rottweiler mix who was at the pound for over a month. When I went to the pound to look for a dog, I was hesitant about him because he had a lot of gray around his mouth, so I thought he was a lot older than he was. I also thought that he might be more aggressive. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was the sweetest dog who just wanted to give everyone kisses. We took him home that day. We've had him for seven years now. He is the sweetest, funniest dog you could ask for. When we decided to adopt our next dog, I specifically looked for a black dog that was less likely to find a home. Ever since reading about Black Dog Syndrome, I would feel guilty to pass up a black dog.

sasha32, Jul 5, 2013
  12. Melody

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of superstition about black haired animals.
    I was watching a Korean drama and saw a woman criticize her adopted daughter and say "This is why they say never to take in a black haired animal." As if to say that dark haired animals will turn on you.

I think it's all bull, I've had black cats in the past and my current pets, a tabby cat and a rat terrier, are both at least partially black. Black animals are just as loving as loyal as other colors of animals.

ACSAPA, Jul 16, 2013
  13. Melody

In my country, there is a superstition about black cats, I've never heard that black dogs can bring bad luck too, lol:p
    Personally, I don't believe in things like this. Dogs are our friends and any dog can make you happy, the hair color doesn't really matter.

claudine, Jul 20, 2013
  14. Melody

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I think the superstitions against dark haired animals are stupid because hair color is just genetics. There are people born with black hair and people aren't afraid of them. If people had the same superstitions about humans with black hair then me, my daughter and pretty much all of Asia and Africa would be screwed.

ACSAPA, Aug 2, 2013
  15. Melody

People are scared of people with red hair, lol. Yesterday, I heard two old ladies talking about this. One of them said that redheads get angry very easily and that they can be aggressive:rolleyes: . Superstitious are so silly!:confused: Even if my Homer had completely black hair or red eyes or anything weird, I would still love him with all my heart because he is the sweetest little dog!

claudine, Aug 7, 2013
  16. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's because is really hard to see dog eyes and "expression". Light colored dogs are way more attractive than the dark ones, but there are people out there who actually like the dark colored ones. Like for example me! My pug is actually black! It suits her!

Trellum, Feb 20, 2014
Ask a Question