Where did you get your pets names from?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lifeliveson, Apr 18, 2013.

1. lifeliveson

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

So I actually have three dogs, one is my parents now though cause I got her when I lived at home and taking her out of her environment to me is cruel.

So BELLA got her name off of what? Of course, I was 17 and twilight was huge haha

Toby got his name from my coworkers husband. She told me his name and I though oh man thats way to cute I love that name. We were toying with emmett and toby but toby stuck

and jax got his name from sons of anarchy jax. We had a foster dog for a small amount of time that we named gemma and when she got adopted toby was sad so we got him a brother and named him jax

lifeliveson, Apr 18, 2013
  2. lifeliveson

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer was named after this famous ancient Greek poet. I'm a philologist, I read lots and lots of books and at the time when we got Homer, I was reading the Iliad again and I joked that we should name our dog Homer. My sister liked the idea because it's so funny - Homer is a very small dog so no one expects that he has such an impressive name, lol:p

claudine, Apr 19, 2013
  3. lifeliveson

MzMonka Well-Known Member

Here we have taken turns naming our dogs. It can be anything really as long as it is only 2 syllables. Dogs seem to be able to respond better from my understanding. Brooklyn came with her name,Gigi because Goofy Girl didn't work out right. She has always been a bit of a goof so we shortened it to Gigi. Betty Lou is actually Betty Lou Who and it is a theme name. Her father is named Grinch and all of the rest of the litter was named after the Who's.

MzMonka, Apr 19, 2013
  4. lifeliveson

I love that, especially for a small dog cause you always expect like a huge fat dog when you hear that name lol unexpected, I love it

lifeliveson, Apr 21, 2013
  5. lifeliveson

Oh thats cute! my theme is favourite tv/movie characters at the time haha good call!

lifeliveson, Apr 21, 2013
  6. lifeliveson

Yiddo Member

My mothers dad who sadly died of cancer. We decided to name the dog after him. People think it seems disrespectful to name a dog after your dead grandpa, but the dog is like a family member to us; a child, so it was a great choice in my opinion.

Yiddo, Apr 21, 2013
  7. lifeliveson

Lol, I know, people always look really surprised when I call "Homer!" and my miniature dog runs to me. Watching people's reaction makes me smile:D

claudine, Apr 21, 2013
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  8. lifeliveson

Yiddo Member

Homer, very unique name honestly. I like the fact it's a small dog too, very amusing :p

Yiddo, Apr 22, 2013
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  9. lifeliveson

Even the veterinarian laughed when he met Homer - and I'm sure he had heard many strange pet names before:p
    But, to be honest, we don't call our little dog "Homer" too often, usually we use a diminutive: Homcio:D

claudine, Apr 22, 2013
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  10. lifeliveson

zararina Well-Known Member

Sometimes I get our dogs names from a character in a cartoon and sometimes in their physical attributes. Our recent dog got his name from his attitude which is Kulit meaning too energetic or stubborn.

zararina, Apr 24, 2013
  11. lifeliveson

never heard that before, very originial

lifeliveson, Apr 25, 2013
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  12. lifeliveson

jose26425 Member

I personally try to name our animals super awesome names (I have two cats named Megatron and Ironhide from the Transformers), but my fiancee tries to name our animals some more socially-acceptable names (I can't fathom why). We have a Golden Doodle name Rhett Butler from "Gone With The Wind." When Rhett was a puppy, he had very red hair in his fur. They were thinking of a name that incorporated that into his name. Scarlet was one of the suggestions, which naturally led to Rhett. Somehow, his nickname was transformed into "Red Butters."

jose26425, Jun 12, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  13. lifeliveson

Rhett Butler is an adorable name for a dog! I love Gone With The Wind, it's my favorite movie.
    I like unique dog names, some of them are so funny and pretty:)

claudine, Jun 13, 2013
    shinminhee85 likes this.
  14. lifeliveson

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow's birth papers indicate that her name is scarley. When she was given to us at 2 months her former owner called her cha-cha so that's the name our chow responds to. If I could change her name I'd call her butterball because her color is the same as the butterball candy my hubby and I liked as kids. If she gives birth to a pup that looks like her I'll name that one butterball instead.

trishgl, Jun 20, 2013
  15. lifeliveson

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm a cat person but I inherited a Rat Terrier from a relative who went senile. She used to call him Sin Fuego, but my daughter and I changed his name to Stefano because my daughter likes a guy on Youtube named Pewdiepie who named a statue in the video game Amnesia Stefano.

ACSAPA, Jun 24, 2013
  16. lifeliveson

This is a very cute name! But does he reacts to it? A new name can be confusing for a dog.
    Do you have any pictures of him? I'm sure that everyone here would love to see them. Rat Terriers are so adorable, and they always seem so cheerful. I really like them, especially black and white ones.

claudine, Jun 24, 2013
  17. lifeliveson

Jezebella Member

My cat is named Prim after the Hunger Games character. I am planning to adopt a dog soon and if the name Proper works I'm going to match them up. If the name doesn't work for the dog that's okay though. I just thought it would be cute.

Jezebella, Jun 24, 2013
  18. lifeliveson

argon_0 Well-Known Member

We got Mishka for our fifteen year old daughter who was having severe emotional problems at the time. My wife spotted a notice up in the hardware store and together with my daughter visited the puppies and brought Mishka home. :rolleyes: I'm totally unaware why she was given the name but I think it was a cute name for a very cute puppy.
    I'm glad to say my daughter is now a young adult and has gotten over her teenage angst and we are now the joyful owners of princess Mishka.

argon_0, Jun 25, 2013
  19. lifeliveson

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Stefano is a black and white rat terrier. He has never responded to any of his names, not even his old name. He responds quickly when I say "Dog!", so maybe someone called him that before. He also seems to understand English because when I say "Do you want to come in?" he'll run into the house.
    My relative used to keep him outside as some kind of guard dog to bark when people came to the gate.
    I keep him indoors as a pet and he sleeps in my bed and also has a small bed on the floor near my desk.

ACSAPA, Jun 26, 2013
  20. lifeliveson

Actually, "Mishka" sounds almost like a quite popular Polish female name. But instead of "sh" we pronounce a very soft "s".
    Also, it sounds quite similar to the word we use for a bear:)

claudine, Jun 26, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
Ask a Question