where can I find a dalmatian in WI?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by dkramarczyk, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dkramarczyk

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I've been recently thinking about finally getting a dalmatian (my life long dream), but I'm running into the issue that they don't seem to be in WI all that much. I can find them in Illinois, but that's still not close enough. I tried looking at shelters, because I'd rather get one that needs a home than go to a breeder, but I think I will have to go to a breeder. Any known breeder's in WI that are trustworthy and not extremely pricey?

dkramarczyk, Apr 18, 2012
  2. dkramarczyk

argon_0 Well-Known Member

argon_0, Apr 20, 2012
  3. dkramarczyk

Mudd04 Member

When you were checking shelters did you check Petfinder as well as any rescues listed and / or maintained by the breed parent club? You may be able to find one yet if you haven't and new pets needing homes are added to petfinder by rescues and shelters every day.

Responsible breeders are often involved in rescue and education efforts so can be a good place to look for dogs for adoption as well as a brand new puppy. The AKC breed parent club usually lists both national rescue efforts for the breed as well as breeders and can be a good place to make a start looking for a particular breed as well as learning about them in a more in depth way. There are also listings of people with recent litters on the AKC website.

You may not find a good breeder of the breed you want right on your doorstep all the time but the support provided and health and happiness of your new family member over the next decade or two can be worth a trip sometimes if you are getting a puppy from a breeder. The Dalmation Club of America has a lot of great information on the breed too.

http://www.thedca.org/index.html

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Mudd04, Jul 15, 2012
  4. dkramarczyk

Shepherd Well-Known Member

If I can offer any suggestions, it would be to check for a Pointer x Dalmatian mix. I have a few friends who own dogs of this kind. Many of the puppies frequently come out with both brown and black spots. Very beautiful! Best of luck finding your new dog.

Shepherd, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question