When to start bathing my puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by summerRain, Feb 21, 2012.

1. summerRain

summerRain Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I just want to seek some advice on when is the right time to bathe my 2 and a half week puppy.

He is itching badly because of dog fleas. Is there any home remedies I can use to get rid of those parasites? Or should I buy commercially prepared products in the market?

summerRain, Feb 21, 2012
  2. summerRain

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not know any home made remedy for it and maybe you can try a dog power for those fleas.
    I am not sure if its okay already a puppy as young as that. As far as I could remember, I start bathing my puppies before when it was three weeks to one month old already.

zararina, Feb 21, 2012
  3. summerRain

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have heard of people bathing their puppies with Dawn dish washing liquid to get rid of fleas. It will just kill the ones on the puppy now it won't prevent others from infesting the puppy. It's hard when they are that young because all the commercial stuff is for puppies at least over six weeks of age.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 22, 2012
  4. summerRain

Thank you for that nice suggestion. Now I have to buy that specific dish washing liquid tomorrow. I'll just prevent my puppies from playing too much outside the house so that I can minimize fleas infestation again.

Should I use lukewarm water or should it be warm?

summerRain, Feb 23, 2012
  5. summerRain

I would make it warmish if the weather is colder where you are. If the temperature is fairly warm where you are then lukewarm would work. Just be very careful like you would with a baby not to make it to warm.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 23, 2012
  6. summerRain

Warmish would be the best for my puppy just like what you have suggested. I'm done bathing him and he feels better than before. I also noticed that the fleas were dead too. Looks like Dawn dish washing solution really works as a home remedy for dog fleas.

Thanks again! :)

summerRain, Feb 24, 2012
  7. summerRain

You are very welcome! I'm glad my suggestion helped the little guy! :)

SheWolfSilver, Feb 24, 2012
    summerRain likes this.
  8. summerRain

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Actually if you soak your puppy for fifteen minutes in lukewarm water, most of the fleas would be dead. Using a mild shampoo just makes the process more interesting and, of course, makes your puppy smell good.

If you want to de-flea your puppy properly, then it would be good to have a close look at this chart:

[​IMG]

The trick is to break the breeding cycle.

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
  9. summerRain

So how can I de-flea him Victor Leigh? Do you have any suggestions on how to break the cycle? Fleas might be dead after soaking my puppy in a lukewarm water for fifteen minutes but how about the eggs, larva and the pupa?

summerRain, Feb 25, 2012
  10. summerRain

What you need to do is to disinfect the entire house. Those eggs and larvae hide in the tiny crevices of the floor and the edges and corners. It's only the adult fleas that you find on the dog.

Victor Leigh, Feb 25, 2012
  11. summerRain

I get it now. Got to buy anti-flea shampoo for this. I can spray it on our door mats, carpet and his blankets. I started bathing him with Dawn's dish washing liquid every other day because I couldn't stop him from going outside the house. He got a lot of dog friends and he's crying like crazy every time I didn't allow him to go outside.

summerRain, Feb 25, 2012
  12. summerRain

Now you have a real problem on your hands. Those doggie friends will re-infect him with fleas in the blink of an eye. If you can't keep him away from them, you are fighting a losing battle.

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
  13. summerRain

He'll get depressed if he's just playing alone. My older dog Shit Zu who is a snob and jealous refuses to play with him as well. I just need to wait till he reached the age of 6 weeks so that I can wash him with an anti flea shampoo.

summerRain, Feb 27, 2012
  14. summerRain

When he reaches the age of six weeks, consider getting him inoculated with an anti-flea medicine. In Thailand we can get two versions. The branded imported stuff costs about 10 usd per dose. The generic stuff produced locally costs about 3.50 usd per dose. I have used it before. The effect lasts for a few months. The medicine gets into the blood stream of the dog and when the fleas suck the blood of the dog, the fleas are killed by the medicine. Takes just a few days to take effect. Dosage varies according to the weight of the dog.

Victor Leigh, Feb 28, 2012
  15. summerRain

Yes, I agree flea shampoo just kills the fleas he has now they won't keep him from being reinfected. I don't know what is available to you but we use Frontline which you can buy now at Wal Mart. This is great for me because you use to only be able to get it through your vet which was so much more expensive.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 28, 2012
  16. summerRain

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Make sure you use the shampoo for puppies. You do not want to do anything to hurt the little baby. I started about 4 months after he was born, but I used a wash cloth and towl to make sure he did not get to wet or sick. Make sure you ask the vet for info on your puppy, this way you will know what is best to do.

wahcashmom, Mar 1, 2012
Ask a Question