When last did you take your dog to the vet?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well in my case it was quite a while ago. The thing is my husband knows a vet, so when any little thing pops up he would give him a call and he would recommend something to deal with the problem. It has been working for about a year or two.

From a layperson's point of view my girls appear in great health most of the time. I often joke they are healthier than I am and wish I had someone to take care of me the way I take care of them. I was doing some reading recently and came across this bit of information suggesting that even very healthy dogs should visit the vet at least once a year. I guess "dogs" are people too as we humans ought to be having our yearly check ups.

If that is true I know I am falling short. What about you? When last did you take your dog to the vet? See the link below.

http://pets.thenest.com/should-dog-visit-vet-5687.html

Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014
  2. Winterybella

JoshPosh Member

It's been awhile. He hasn't shown any sign of discomfort and pain, so I see no point at taking him soon. He did get a full examination and all of his shots the last time I took him in.

JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014
  3. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

The last time I took Homer to the vet was about six months ago. He wasn't sick, he just needed his shots. In general, we go there as rarely as possible, because I know that every visit is very stressful for him.

claudine, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

What you said is so true. It's such a stressful time for the little ones and none of us really like to see our little ones so stressed out. I am thinking of my girl's last visit now. I felt like crying watching the discomfort my girls were in. I don't honestly remember what the problem was.

I just remember the stress we all felt . I also remember the offering of treats to pacify them. My otherwise greedy Zola was not the least bit impressed. She just wanted to go home.

Winterybella, Nov 11, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  5. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Same here. Homer didn't want to eat any treats either, he was too stressed. Our vet gave him a really big dog cookie, but Homer refused to take it. It surprised me, because he has a great appetite on a daily basis.

claudine, Jan 3, 2015
  6. Winterybella

mkCampbell Active Member

Our vets make the visits as stress free as possible. They love the dogs, talk to them, play with them, get to know their attitudes. The time in a room waiting is minimal and when the vet comes in he's always talking happy talk to our dogs. Now one of our dogs walks straight to the scale and sits down waiting to get weighed as soon as we walk in. We go twice a year at least. However, with one older dog with health issues we've been about 4-5 times this year.

mkCampbell, Jan 3, 2015
  7. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I take mine every 6 months, she gets several check ups every six months. I was told taking her every 6 months was the right thing to do by my vet. Frida seems to be a rather healthy dog so far, so we haven't had to see the vet more often :)

What a cutie!!!!

Trellum, Jul 19, 2015
  8. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone doesn't need to see the vet yet as he is update on all his shots and doesn't need to be there. I know the stress level was high for both humans and dogs sitting there waiting for to be since. Everyone is nervous and just wants out :)

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
Ask a Question