When do your dogs sleep?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Pocs' quote from this thread: http://www.dog-forums.com/threads/allowed-in-the-kitchen.596/#post-5579

It kinda made me giggle at the idea of maybe putting dogs down for a nap like you would a baby. That's not the case, of course, but it's a fun image.

So when DO your dogs sleep? Do they have a standard routine when they typically sleep?

Jessi, Aug 8, 2012
  2. Jessi

Pocs Well-Known Member

My boys are laid back. They do have their burst of energy through out the day, but really lay around. My kids say they are the masters at "chillaxing".
    If I would have to pick nap times, it would be when I'm cooking, sewing or painting, basically they nap while others are doing things.
    They do have extra long naps in the afternoon after their walks and after a bath, which is more tiring on me than them, I should take the nap.

Pocs, Aug 9, 2012
  3. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

It seems my dog sleeps all day, though I get the feeling that most of the time she is only resting. She is ready to spring into action in case food is around. After breakfast, she usually hides out in her tent. I'm not sure if she is sleeping or not. After lunch is when she has her first real nap. She's usually out from about 12:30 to 3 (with minor breaks to bark at UPS or other trespassers).

She goes back to her tent after 6pm. She is up and down until Jeopardy. Usually, I don't see her again from 8pm until I put her to bed.

My Vet told me that Jack Russell's go in spurts. I can really see this with Misha. She doesn't have constant energy like my brother's Mini Pinschers.

Melody, Aug 10, 2012
  4. Jessi

pugskjj Well-Known Member

My dogs are on my sleep schedule for the most part. Because of the meds I take I have to nap about half way through the day and they know that when mommy turns off her computer mouse and the TV that it is nap time and actually beat me to the bed...now mind you they are usually asleep on the couch when I do this and can STILL hear the click of the on/off button on the mouse.

At night it is the same thing and they sleep through the night in bed with me, they all have their own spots.

When I get up however...I get the "5 more minutes mom!" look but they reluctantly get up (they are not allowed in the room other than to sleep when I am in there sleeping) and move to the couch to sleep until around noon. But after nap they are up with me until bedtime raising cain of course

pugskjj, Aug 10, 2012
  5. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Peanuts will take a nap after she does her daily exercise. And she does this alone without me or anybody initiating it.

Her daily exercise consists of

1. Messing with Chooey until Chooey chases her.
    2. Running back and forth while Chooey attempts to catch her (eventually getting bored because Peanuts gets up at the couch where Chooey cannot reach her)
    3. Runs back and forth from one end of the living room to the other end of my bedroom on her own volition.
    4. Once she gets tired, she'll drink some water and curl up under my feet.

Viola, Nap Time!!!

haopee, Aug 10, 2012
  6. Jessi

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

My little Pommy sleeps a lot during the day when I'm working. We take long walks in the morning and evenings so he usually likes to take a nap then too. What's funny though is that he tries to adjust his bed time to mine. For several years when I was working one particular job, I went to bed at 10 p.m. each night and Pommy would do the same. Now my schedule has changed, but he still goes to bed at 10 p.m. just like clockwork! Sometimes he even yaps at me to let me know that I'm supposed to go to bed too!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 7, 2012
  7. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

They would sleep pretty good throughout the night, and would take little naps throughout the day - but I think that was mostly out of boredom if nobody else was home. Also, on sunny days they liked sleeping in the sunlight to help out with their joint pain.

OhioTom76, Sep 27, 2012
  8. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer sleeps when he is not harassing me to play with him or to feed him;) . He sleeps after his meals, in the morning after the first walk (because then it's easy to find a nice sunny spot) and usually he sleeps during the night - unfortunately there are exceptions:p .

claudine, Oct 10, 2012
  9. Jessi

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

My Rafa sleeps all day long! When he's not eating, barking at my birds or at the television, he is most likely sleeping. I do not understand why he sleeps so much but he does have a lot of energy when he asks to play. I think all dogs are different in reference to their sleep pattern, especially.

bellahpereira, Oct 11, 2012
  10. Jessi

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Trixie sleeps quite a lot. She will sleep some during the day. She sleeps mostly at night, but will sometimes get up early in the morning if she needs to go to the bathroom.

pilot2fly, Oct 11, 2012
  11. Jessi

pafjlh Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I think they sleep sometimes at nights. Although, there have been times when I have heard Buddy barking at night. I have looked outside during the day and have seen them sleeping. They have also been known to sleep when brought into the house in the afternoons.

pafjlh, Oct 25, 2012
  12. Jessi

teamrose Active Member

My dog sleep pretty much all night when the lights go out. She's in her bed a lot during the day, but if anyone comes to the door, or the phone rings or there is any activity in the house, she is up and about.

teamrose, Nov 6, 2012
  13. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

You know, I don't really know when he sleeps. :D It seems like he's always up and around and up to no good. He is so full of energy that it's hard for me to keep up at times.

shdws, Jan 16, 2013
  14. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Haha. Sounds like a handful!

Is he up and running around at night, too? Or is he at least settled down then?

Jessi, Jan 16, 2013
  15. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

At night he's calm as long as he's close by me. If I'm in another room he get's anxious and starts running around everywhere. He has a kennel in the backyard where he is SUPPOSED to be sleeping. He'll stay awake all night if I leave him there though. Spoiled maybe?

shdws, Jan 17, 2013
  16. Jessi

teamrose Active Member

How does anyone really know when their dog is sleeping unless it is in bed with them. Mine is quiet and in his bed when we are. He must be an incredibly light sleeper because the slightest noise outside and he is up.

teamrose, Jan 18, 2013
  17. Jessi

Sometimes when I lie in my bed I hear Homer walking and sniffing near my door. I always try not to make any sound because I know he would bark and want to play if he discovered I'm not asleep:p

claudine, Jan 18, 2013
  18. Jessi

teamrose Active Member

Are you giving Homer plenty of exercise during the day? Dogs are like children. They are full of energy and need to expend it if they are to have a good night's sleep.

teamrose, Jan 19, 2013
  19. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog and previous dos usually had their naps after finishing their meals. :p
    And of course at night...

zararina, Jan 19, 2013
  20. Jessi

Yes, we go for a walk at least three times a day:p . And there is always somebody to throw him cones, all family members love him:D . Homer is just very active. Fortunately he wakes up in the middle of the night only from time to time.

claudine, Jan 19, 2013
Ask a Question