When buying a dog

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Shawn, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Shawn

Shawn Active Member

I have noticed that sometimes when looking for a dog that is pretty expensive, the previous owners will want you to sign a document saying you will not breed the dog, which I assume is do to greed but really what gives them the right to tell you that you cannot bread an animal that YOU paid good money for? How will they know whether or not you bred the dog?

Shawn, Dec 21, 2011
  2. Shawn

King Browny Well-Known Member

Argh, pure precious thing! They are inhibiting it to have a family of its own. If that’d be the case, better not buy from them. Is that what’s all in the document? Will they charge you of a criminal case for breach of contract?

How will they know whether or not you bred the dog? They must have implanted a chip on the dog or have your dog spied. :D

Kidding aside, they must be tracking the records or have a connection on a registry or something.

King Browny, Dec 23, 2011
  3. Shawn

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Some people do that in an order to control the pet population. For instance if you buy from a shelter you are required to get your dog fixed (if they aren't already) There is such an overpopulation of dogs in this country that many people try to make sure most dogs are not used for breeding.

MakingCents, Dec 24, 2011
  4. Shawn

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just a piece of paper won't stop any dog from breeding. Haven't heard of such a requirement around here. The main point of getting a dog with a pedigree (which presumably is why they are expensive) is to breed it.

Victor Leigh, Dec 25, 2011
  5. Shawn

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Just because a dog is registered or of pure breeding, that dog might not be a good enough specimen to reproduce. Purebred dogs are bred to meet the requirements of a document called the "standard of perfection." If the dog does not meet the requirements of the standard, it should not be bred. When people breed registered dogs together that do not meet the requirements of the standard, no matter how beautiful those dog might be or no matter how impressive the pedigree, the puppies will lack some of the qualities that make the breed resemble that breed. I bred a wonderful puppy once: he was sweet, intelligent, and had lovely conformation and temperament. I neutered him and placed him in a pet home because he grew two inches taller than what a Toy Fox Terrier should be. If I'd let him reproduce, he'd have sired puppies with genes that would produce even more puppies that didn't meet the standard and that, as a steward of the breed, was something I couldn't allow. I spayed and placed another beautiful puppy, who had already gotten a three-point major at a dog show, because her patellas started slipping terribly and she hopped on three legs at times. I spayed another lovely puppy and kept her because her temperament was not strong enough--she lacked terrier fire and drive.

Breeding purebred dogs has nothing to do with pumping out purebred puppies to make money. There is no "greed" involved if the breeder cares enough to sell a puppy with breeding restrictions. That breeder has probably put hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars into health testing the parents. He or she knows the standard and probably has a registered kennel name/affix that s/he does not want represented by future generations of puppies that don't meet the standard or that might have genetic diseases/flaws that are detrimental to the breed. The breeder might not know if you breed the dog, but if s/he finds out that you have, then be prepared to have a legal battle on your hands if you've signed a contract saying that you wouldn't. The purebred dog fancy is a small world and people know other people's lines pretty well. If I knew someone and saw that a dog sold under a spay/neuter contract appeared in a pedigree somewhere, you'd better believe that I'd contact the breeder. If you're talking about breeding and selling unregistered purebred dogs and becoming a backyard breeder, then you have only your conscience to deal with--but sooner or later that will come back to bite you, too.

LoupGarouTFTs, Jan 6, 2012
  6. Shawn

Not always, some people like to get a dog with a pedigree because they believe that you will have a better idea what the dogs potential health problems and temperment would be. If you can go back through the dogs ancestry and find any health problem that have arose you will know what to prepare for.

MakingCents, Jan 6, 2012
  7. Shawn

This statement is very true. I know that my breed of dog is prone to knee problems (because it is so small) and historically has thyroid problems. Because I know that Beau has a dog appear four times in his pedigree that carried thyroid problems, I knew to have him checked to see if he carried them as well (he doesn't). It is also easier to train a purebred border collie to herd than it is a mixed breed of unknown ancestry, simply because it has many generations of herders behind it. There are many good reasons to own a purebred dog, but breeding them just to breed them is not high on the list.

LoupGarouTFTs, Jan 6, 2012
  8. Shawn

Right. That's exactly what my dog trainer friend told me. He said specific breeds have been bred for specific characteristics. So he said to choose a breed which has the exact characteristics which you are looking for. Being a cute puppy does not quality as a criterion.

Victor Leigh, Jan 7, 2012
  9. Shawn

summerRain Well-Known Member

Why on earth does other breeder wants to inhibits breeding? You paid for it and you have the choice to give your dog the privilege to reproduce.

summerRain, Jan 8, 2012
  10. Shawn

It's a responsible thing to do. There is a difference between a RESPONSIBLE breeder and a backyard breeder. Most responsible breeders will request that you don't breed your dog because there are already enough homeless pets out there. IF you are interested in becoming a breeder then you need to speak to the breeder of your puppy about that and they will be able to help you get started the right way.

MakingCents, Jan 8, 2012
  11. Shawn

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

That is crazy, after I buy the dog why should they be able to tell me what I do with the dog? I would go somewhere else and buy my dog!

wahcashmom, Jan 9, 2012
  12. Shawn

I suppose the breeder could say the same thing. Most animal shelters and rescue groups won't adopt a dog out that's not fixed. They have a right to have a policy just as much as you have a right to shop around.

MakingCents, Jan 9, 2012
  13. Shawn

King Browny Well-Known Member

So as much as it’s the right of the buyer to breed his dog, it’s also the right of the seller to sell dogs that he doesn’t want you to breed. What would depend on you is with whom you’ll buy your dog where your decision would depend on whether you want to breed that dog or not.

King Browny, Jan 22, 2012
  14. Shawn

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have never come across this situation but all of my dogs have come from shelters with the exception of one (Bitsy) and I suspect she might have come from a puppy mill. I can understand wanting to keep the breeds standards up.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  15. Shawn

Exactly, if that's the breeders prerogative than that's what he does, as a consumer you always have the right to purchase elsewhere.

MakingCents, Jan 27, 2012
  16. Shawn

Right. It's your money and their dog. So if you can't come to a compromise, take your money elsewhere. Or donate your money to a dog shelter and adopt one from there.

Victor Leigh, Feb 5, 2012
  17. Shawn

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe better if they will just give some lecture or information how to be a responsible owner and not to enforce their buyers on such restriction. It is true that there are still options and better to choose responsible breeders as discussed on this thread.

zararina, Feb 5, 2012
  18. Shawn

Well, if they are so insistent on the no-breeding rule, they could just enforce it very simply by making sure that every puppy that they are neutered before-hand. I wonder why they didn't do just that.

Victor Leigh, Feb 7, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  19. Shawn

Most breeders sell their puppies between the ages of eight and 12 weeks. A lot of shelters push pediatric spay/neuter, but most show/hobby breeders will not. Most shelters operate under the assumption that the average new owner is irresponsible and that any intact puppy will eventually turn into an adult dog that will sire or will bear puppies. Most show/hobby breeders have looked at the health risks associated with pediatric spay/neuter and many, including myself, reject it. I agree, though, that if a person wants to be certain that none of the puppies that s/he produces produces other puppies, then the best thing that s/he can do is spay or neuter the puppy before it leaves home with a new owner.

LoupGarouTFTs, Feb 16, 2012
  20. Shawn

One of my friends who breeds dogs that wants them to be fixed (for the betterment of the breed, not every dog is good for breeding) offers a 'rebate' on the dogs she breeds. So after she adopts the dog out, if the family comes back in a few months and shows proof of a spay/neuter she gives them money back. Can't remember how much.

MakingCents, Feb 17, 2012
Ask a Question