What's you favorite animal book or movie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by kinser, May 2, 2012.

1. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

[quote="Shepherd, post: 5215, member: 210"
    My favorite book about a dog will probably always be Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. I know it is children's fiction, but I read it when I was younger and it has always stuck with me. I actually met Kate DiCamillo a few years ago at a literary festival. She was such a nice person!

[​IMG][/quote]

No but thank you I just ordered via my library. It had a 4 1/2 * rating. :)
    I

argon_0, Jul 20, 2012
  2. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's a good movie. I did a review on that one for a site before.

There's a story behind the dog in the movie. The director wanted to get a dog that looked like a mutt. After much searching, he decided on Berger Picard. It does look like a nondescript mutt but is actually an established breed in France.

A few were brought over to the US for the movie and from those few, there is now a growing population of Berger Picard in the US. This is an intelligent breed and is said to be one that is known to really smile. See for yourself:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jul 21, 2012
  3. kinser

Pocs Well-Known Member

Where to start. Old Yeller tops the list, sad but a classic.
    Where the Red Ferns Grows, again sad but I love it.
    Beethoven kept my children amused when they were younger.
    Snoopy, of course and who doesn't.
    Droopy Dog. I love this little guy, just a cartoon, but what a champ!

Pocs, Jul 31, 2012
  4. kinser

s120450 Member

One of my childhood favorites was the Balto movie about a wolf/dog that saves an entire city when he runs a package of medicine across Alaska. It's one of those movies that didn't get as much notice as others, but it's still really good.

s120450, Jul 31, 2012
  5. kinser

That's a good one. It's based on a real story about Balto, the Siberian Husky, who was the lead dog in the final stage of an anti-diptheria serum run from Anchorage to Nome. This run is now commemorated annnually by the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog race.

This is the statue of Balto in Central Park, New York.
    [​IMG]

When Balto died in 1933, his remains were mounted and donated to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, where he stands vigil to this day.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Aug 1, 2012
  6. kinser

s120450 Member

I knew it was based off of a real story and I knew about the statue but I had no idea about the remains. That's really interesting to know that one dog inspired so much and changed that many lives that they would feel the need to preserve his memory in such a way. That's some interesting stuff.

s120450, Aug 1, 2012
  7. kinser

There are many books and movies based on real stories.

Another one that's set in the same winterscape as the Balto story is Eight Below Zero. The original story was about a Japanese expedition to the South Pole. In the movie, they gave the story a better ending than what happened in the real story.

Only a couple of the dogs died in the movie. In the real story only a couple of the dogs survived. Those who are interested in Huskies should enjoy this movie. Just look at these handsome fellas:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Aug 1, 2012
  8. kinser

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Charlotte's Web, but I bawl my eyes out every time I read the book or see any of the on screen versions of it. The remake that came out a few years ago with Dakota Fanning was very well done.

OhioTom76, Sep 23, 2012
  9. kinser

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I like that movies with the two dogs that get lost and have to travel cross country to get home. I don't remember then name of the movies. The dogs could talk. Can any one help me out?

iluvmario, Feb 17, 2013
  10. kinser

rdahl125 Member

I loved several animal-centered movies and books as a child! Where the Red Fern Grows, Marley & Me, and the film Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey always made me cry! Another great one was The Sandlot, though that wasn't so much animal-centered as opposed to just including a dog very generously into the storyline. I'd have to say my favorite animal movie as a kid was Babe. I've always loved pigs, they're just so adorable!

rdahl125, Mar 8, 2013
  11. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

I love 101 Dalmatians. It was one of first movies that I watched at cinema, I remember how excited I was. It was great. I really like Dalmatians, they always make me smile because they look so cheerful:D

[​IMG]

claudine, Mar 12, 2013
  12. kinser

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

I recently watched we bought a zoo with Matt Damon. It was a great movie, I dont remember any old movies involving animals (Im sure I can think of one) but this movie was great!

lifeliveson, Mar 26, 2013
  13. kinser

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

I always used to watch a show named "REX". Rex was a detective dog and he used to help solve crimes investigations and all. It was awesome. I remembered when Rex died in the show, I cried a lot (I was small).
    rex.jpg

schizophreniatype, Apr 23, 2013
  14. kinser

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

Monkey trouble actually was one of my faves. And look whos talking now is a classic, always loved that one for sure.

lifeliveson, Apr 25, 2013
  15. kinser

amundy8 Active Member

I used to have Disney's 6 Little Golden Books that were read to me as a small child. I read them too, and my favorite was Dumbo. It reminded me look at the capability of a person as the reason they are made a different way. Dumbo's big ears may not have looked appealing to many, but they served a great purpose..to help him fly. A similar character was the tap dancing penguin with black feet who was ridiculed for his feet but was a talented dancer. Anyway, That's why I love Dumbo.

amundy8, May 16, 2013
Ask a Question