What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by IcyBC, Jul 8, 2016.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We took Capone in to see the vet on Wednesday because he has some kind of thing growing above his back paw. It looks like this: IMG_3109.jpg Some told me it looks like ringworm and I didn't like that much. After dropping him off at the vet, I went home and had a terrible feeling. I couldn't eat or think or do anything. Then the vet called and told me he has skin tumor. She told me that if it is the bad kind of tumor, the surgery would cost $800 dollars. Since I don't have that kind of money, I told her I would try to treat it first. To have any tests done on that wound, it would still cost lots of money. So I bought the powder and the antibiotics that the vet prescribed to see if these treatments would go away.

We are doing it now for the past few days, and in the meantime, I am looking up other vets to take him in for second opinion. I know vets are known to milk the money out of you, and before I commit to such an enormous amount for the surgery, I need the diagnose to be confirmed.

What would you do?

IcyBC, Jul 8, 2016
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

Oh no, I'm so sorry!:( It must be a nightmare for you. Whenever Homer isn't well, I go crazy. It's the worst feeling.
    I think you should get a second opinion as soon as possible. There are so many vets who make mistakes and misdiagnose their patients. Maybe your vet is wrong.
    And please, keep us posted.

claudine, Jul 8, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

So sad to hear about Capone with that suspected skin tumor. I would ask for a second opinion if I were you. When our first dog got sick of distemper, the fist diagnosis was arthritis although our dog was only 5 years old at that time. We brought Jedi to a bigger clinic, an expensive and classy animal hospital only to be diagnosed of heart ailment. Worse, this second vet said our dog's case is hopeless. I was already crying for 2 days when I tried a 3rd vet who instantly diagnosed distemper via a phone call only - upon my description. Jedi was saved and she lived until 10.

Maybe the vet can be wrong. Let's hope for the best.

Corzhens, Jul 15, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@claudine and @Corzhens

Capone is now on antibiotics and medicated powder; the wound seemed to be closing with skin starting to grow. So he is responding to the meds!

I also took him to another vet for second opinion after more than a week living with this nightmare. I couldn't eat, or functioning since money will be the biggest problem for me. I paid for a skin culture test, which is affordable with this vet, ($22 dollars compare to $200 dollars) and he told me that there is no cancerous cells that he could see at the moment, and he doesn't want to do the surgery either, unless the tumor comes back.

The vet said we will keep Capone on the meds since it is working and that we just have to watch and wait.

I THANK GOD for the news that it is not cancerous, for now anyway!

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2016
    Corzhens and claudine like this.
  5. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news IcyBC!:D I'm so happy and relieved! It's great that there are no cancerous cells there. I'm sure Capone will be fine.
    Thank you for letting us know, I was so worried.

claudine, Jul 15, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

nytegeek Active Member

You did the right thing in seeking a second opinion. It is hard to find a trustworthy vet sometimes so seeking a second opinion is always a good idea in cases like this.

nytegeek, Jul 15, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

remnant Well-Known Member

I suppose you should always have a second opinion from another vet if it occurs to you that the vet in question is overcharging you. It might look like a skin tumour but on the other hand, it can be something else like mite infestation which has eaten into its flesh or even a graze. You should also watch to judge whether its painful and progressive which might be the sign of a tumour.

remnant, Jul 15, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

cluckeyo Active Member

Wonderful news! Everyone needs to be aware of gofundme.com, You can set up site and explain your dilemma, with photos, asking for donations. There are dog lovers who read that site.

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That's good news to me and I'm really glad that Capone is responding to the meds. But the agony of waiting has started so I'm sure you will be on your toes. But rest assured that as long as your dog is acting in its normal way then I guess he is fine. Let's all hope that the tumor will not come back and Capone will be back to his old self. Just endure the costs of the medications, that's the price you pay.

Corzhens, Jul 21, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your support! I am glad to report that his lesion is now completely closed up, and I can see some fur growing back. He acts normal and it didn't seem to bother him at all, even when the wound was raw.
    IMG_3171.jpg

It is a watch and wait now period!

IcyBC, Jul 27, 2016
Ask a Question