What type of brush do you use?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Oct 2, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

I have a golden doodle who has so much fur. I have tried using so many different types of brushes to comb out her coat and have only found one that works. It works great to get the mats out. The last groomer that had groomed my dog

Attached Files:

dashboardc33, Oct 2, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

It usually depends on the type of fur your dog has. We prefer this one because it is easier to clean.

[​IMG]
    But we also use the wire brush because it gathers a lot of loose fur with one stroke. I think it is best for doggies who shed so much especially since winter is coming.

haopee, Oct 3, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

I've noticed that it's easier to deal with Homer's mats when we use a really small brush. I've tried bigger ones, but the small one works the best. Because of it brushing him takes longer but it's easier and more convenient.

claudine, Oct 3, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

I've tried this one before. This is actually the one that came with our clippers set. To me, it just seems like it takes a long time to brush the dog with this. I suppose I should try it again and see if I have better luck now. Do you use it for the entire fur or just to get the mats out?

dashboardc33, Oct 6, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

We use horse brushes LOL

Both my dogs are shorthairs, but when they molt, they REALLY molt. Using big rubber horse brushes means we can get all the fuzz off, and give them a lovely massage at the same time. They roll over and wag their tails the whole time we're doing it.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 8, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

We don't have any special ones. He has short hair that doesn't mat at all and sorta just sits in the same place at all times. The only reason to really brush him is to help with shedding occasionally or to make him feel good.

Jessi, Oct 8, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

This is good for removing loose and clumped hairs. With mattes, we usually cut it especially if combing the mattes bother Chooey, my shih tzu.

If you groom your dog on a daily basis, that wire comb should suffice. And it's easier to clean compared to wire brush.

haopee, Oct 10, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention this in my previous post. There's something called a Furminator to help remove hair from dogs, which is especially good for longhairs. We stick to the horsebrushes, but Furminators are good for those who have adopted a dog and there's a lot of matting. You still have to cut a lot of matted hair off, but some of it can be saved.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 10, 2012
Ask a Question