What To Do When the Dog Doesn't Want to Eat?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

For more than a week now, Capone seems to loose his appertize ! He usually eats twice a day, 1 1/2 cup of dried dog food each time, but now he is down to less than a cup a day. He doesn't seem like he wants to eat his dog food but has no problem with his treats once in a while.

I believe I spoiled him by adding boiled chicken pieces in his food and now he is expecting them. He is still normal, no signs of sickness or slowing down, and still well behaved. He only eats his dog food now whenever he wants as I just leave his food bowl out.

Should I be alarmed or worried about why he isn't eating?

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a reason to worry. If Capone was sick, he wouldn't want to eat treats;) Maybe he just doesn't like his dog food anymore.
    Homer sometimes doesn't eat anything for a day or two. He always does it when he's in love:rolleyes:

claudine, Nov 6, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Without doing any research I would say you shouldn't worry. Actually, I think I have a problem with my smaller dogs. I believe it's reached a stage where they want only human food. It's my fault I believe and I find that often the chow is being ignored.

Winterybella, Nov 7, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. IcyBC

thegrey1 Member

They ARE easily spoiled. Ours are spoiled to meat scraps, and sometimes they don't want to eat their dry kibble unless something is added to it. If I don't have any scraps for them, I just let them ride it out until they decide to eat it. If your dog isn't losing weight and doesn't seem to be sick, it's probably nothing to worry about.

thegrey1, Nov 7, 2015
    IcyBC and Winterybella like this.
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone your help in replying to my concern. Capone seems to do just fine and I think he is just waiting for us to "jazz" up his food. He is spoiled! He only eats his dog food when he can't hold out anymore :) I won't worry too much anymore about this either.

IcyBC, Nov 8, 2015
Ask a Question