What technique do you use when you need to give your dog a pill?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by trishgl, Sep 19, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

Giving my dog her medicine whenever she's ill is a challenge. If its in liquid form I use a syringe and I place the opening at the side of her mouth. If its a pill however that's a different story. I've tried wrapping the pill in meat but she always seems to know how to eat the meat without the pill. I've tried mixing it with her dog food but she leaves the pill in the bowl. How do you manage?

trishgl, Sep 19, 2013
  2. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

If we need to give a medicine to our dog especially if liquid, we would hold his mouth so that he will be forced to drink it. If its a tablet, we dissolved it first on water.

zararina, Sep 19, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

With Homer, it's really easy. I hide the pill in butter and since butter is one of his favorite treats, he swallows it immediately. I've done it many times already and he has never noticed any medications.

claudine, Sep 19, 2013
  4. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

I hide the pill very deep inside a hot dog wiener :) This method is really good, because it doesn't require you to wrap anything. The pill will be hiding deep inside the wiener, my dogs eat the whole wiener all the time and they have never noticed there was a pill hiding in there ;) Things get a bit tricky when I need to give them a liquid medication... I always ask someone's help for that. I'm so glad my dogs aren't aggressive at all!

Trellum, Sep 28, 2013
  5. trishgl

This sounds like a great method, I'll give it a try too:) . I'll have to slice a wiener into smaller pieces though, because if my little Homer ate the whole thing, he would get sick, it's too much food for him:p

claudine, Sep 28, 2013
  6. trishgl

Lokitns Member

Bread, I almost always go with a inner piece of a piece of bread, and wrap the pill up tight in the bread. It makes it so its barely a bite for them, and they just gulp it down without paying attention. I also make sure they see there is more bread in my hands so they want to get more, etc.

Lokitns, Sep 29, 2013
  7. trishgl

Yeah, I think it can work if you do it that way as well :) I always give the whole thing to my standard schnauzer (she can handle it pretty well!), but I usually give only the half of the weiner to my pug. They never notice they just swallowed a pill! I like to de worm my dogs once or twice a year (to be safe) so I had to come up with this method, which is great because this method isn't stressing at all!

Trellum, Sep 29, 2013
  8. trishgl

I deworm Homer twice a year too, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'll give him a weiner next time too (well, half of it), I'm sure that it will make him extremely happy. When he likes something, he eats it very, very fast. So even if I hid a few pills in it, he probably wouldn't notice anything:p When he gets his favorite treats, he barely chews them:eek:

claudine, Oct 1, 2013
  9. trishgl

Same with my dogs :) My dogs love chicken and any kind of meat in general. Dogs can be quirky sometimes, I used to have a miniature schnauzer who loved eating pecans :p He also seemed to like panela cheese, but he went nuts (no pun intended - ok, maybe yes, lol) everytime I offered him some pecans :)

Trellum, Oct 1, 2013
  10. trishgl

Are pecans nuts?:) I haven't heard of them before.
    Homer loves walnuts, probably because I eat them often. He always wants to eat what I eat:p

claudine, Oct 4, 2013
  11. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

Feed it before she eats her meal.

Anyway, Whitey also does this. He seems to have perfected the art of eating the meat and regurgitating the pill. What I did was crush the pill and put it in a hotdog in powder form. When he finds out about it, it's already too late and I have successfully given him his pill.

haopee, Oct 4, 2013
  12. trishgl

Yeah, pecans are nuts :) That dog used to love eating that, like crazy! I never understood his passion for pecans, because well... they have a very mild flavour that might not be enough for a dog, you know! By the way, I love hazelnuts :) My soon to be mother-in-law likes to make a special cake with those, there is a tree nearby and they pick them from the floor. Last time they managed to pick 6 kilos!!

Trellum, Oct 4, 2013
  13. trishgl

6 kilos, wow! We used to have a hazelnut tree in our garden, but my parents cut it off:confused: . Anyway, the hazelnut cake sounds delicious!
    Dogs sometimes like eating really weird things. Pecans at least are edible:p . My Homer sometimes eats grass. And I'm pretty sure that he tries to swallow small pieces of wood when I don't look:eek:

claudine, Oct 7, 2013
  14. trishgl

WOW :(( It seems your parents aren't big fans of the green, isn't it? I remember you saying they removed an ivy as well :( That's a pitty, for a dog owner who loves gardening as well :( Ow, actually my dog also likes eating grass! I'm not sure why he does that tho, but my dad said this had something to do with the fact he might not be feeling pretty well. I'm not sure how true is that, but it makes some sense!

Trellum, Oct 7, 2013
  15. trishgl

Homer seems to always be hungry and he loves chewing things, so I think that maybe he eats grass simply because he can:p If he wasn't feeling well, I'm pretty sure that I would notice it... on the other hand, who knows?
    As for my parents, they're big fans of ugly and boring lawns:( Homer is happy about it though, he likes lying on grass.

claudine, Oct 13, 2013
  16. trishgl

jim scott New Member

Hi,

My name is Jim Scott and I have a German shepherd with me he's name is Jack. He’s so adorable but sometimes when he’s ill or feel sick that time I gave him the pills in his food. I crush the pills and mixed it with whatever he is eating or drinking. Mostly he loves milk so I mixed it with the milk that’s it.

jim scott, Nov 19, 2013
  17. trishgl

Hi Jim:)! Please, tell us more about your dog:) Can you post a picture ot him? My friend owns a German Shepherd too, they're sweet dogs.
    Crushing pills sounds like a really good idea:)

claudine, Nov 20, 2013
  18. trishgl

Oh, he might not necessarily be feeling super bad, sometimes dogs just have minor discomforts just like us :) Stomach discomforts are common, at least for me, hehe! Dogs like eating mud too in small quantities, that's when they're feeling really bad tho.

Yeah, I think I have a clear picture of what your parents like to do with their garden, it's a pity, because it really sounds like they have big garden :( I'd do a lot things with a big garden, I'd surely plant a lot trees and flowers :)

Trellum, Nov 20, 2013
  19. trishgl

I didn't know that some dogs like eating mud:eek:. Fortunately, I've never seen Homer eating it. I guess he has never felt really bad:) I hope he never will! I can't stand seeing him in pain. When he was a puppy, I once had given him too much food and he started vomiting, I'll never forget how scared I was.

claudine, Nov 23, 2013
  20. trishgl

It can be quite traumatizing when you see your small puppy sick like that :( How old were you? That happened to me as a kid with a small pit bull puppy, I think she had vision issues... I could hear how she hit herself against things sometimes :( My parents said she had no chance, but I remember I didn't care... I still fed her, until one day my dad got rid of it. He told me my puppy had died, but I know she hadn't died. They just didn't want me to see that.

Trellum, Nov 24, 2013
Ask a Question