What other animals have you always wanted to own?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by kinser, Apr 20, 2012.

1. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am sure you wouldn't be too happy if the gossip they are spreading is about you. And if parrots can really talk, I think they can also make up stories about the people they talk about.

Victor Leigh, May 19, 2012
  2. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

How about a pet echidna. They are so funny to watch digging up ants and sucking them up with their long tongues. When you come across one they curl up in a ball and grip the ground with their long claws and stay like that hoping you go away.
    I took a video of one walking around our yard. Check out some of the others at the end of this video

argon_0, May 19, 2012
  3. kinser

tajnz Well-Known Member

What a cute thread this is. :) I've always wanted a llama which looks a little like alpaca ,which have already been mentioned. The photo of the sugar glider was precious and white wallabies are also incredibly cute. Another animal I'd like as a pet but probably isn't realistic or possible is a capybara. They look kind of like large guinea pigs or hamsters. :D The larger ones weigh around 60-65kg.

tajnz, Jul 3, 2012
  4. kinser

Capybara? Do you mean something like this?

[​IMG]

I read somewhere that capybaras are being bred for food.

Victor Leigh, Jul 3, 2012
  5. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, that's a capybara! They are sometimes smaller and would be on par with a large dog really. It's not advisable to have them as pets, though, mostly because they're very social and tend to stay in packs of animals. And yep, Victor, they are hunted for their skin and meat, although I don't know anything about breeding them for that reason.

Jessi, Jul 3, 2012
  6. kinser

Just did some reading up on capybaras. Apparently they can grow quite big, up to 2 feet tall at the shoulder and up to 200 lb in weight. That's big, isn't it? Also they seem to breed very fast and they eat very easily, very much like pigs. There are also farms. These little fellas are from a farm in Arkansas.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jul 4, 2012
  7. kinser

tajnz Well-Known Member

I wasn't lying when I said they were large ha ha. Some are heavier than humans.:) I first found out about them via an article featuring the woman Jessi posted above. She keeps one as pet although it's not advisable as although they rarely attack people they are still capable of great damage. She lets hers swim in her swimming pool on hot days but won't get in the water with him/her as they came be particularly aggresive in the water. Thanks for sharing the photograph of the group of little Capybaras, they are incredibly cute.:D

tajnz, Jul 4, 2012
  8. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yeah, they can get huge! Especially the males. I can only imagine what an attack would be like, taj, considering how much sheer mass they have in their body. It'd be like a boar randomly attacking you...ow.

Jessi, Jul 4, 2012
  9. kinser

Yes, I can just imagine how it feels like to have two hundred pounds of a furry cannonball hitting you at full speed. Good thing they don't have tusks like wild boars.

Victor Leigh, Jul 5, 2012
  10. kinser

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I have owned many animals aside from dogs. If I could own anything in particular, I would love to have a macaw. I adore birds and think that macaws are magnificent animals. As far as birds go, I have had conures in the past.

Shepherd, Jul 17, 2012
  11. kinser

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I love capybaras as well!

[​IMG]

I think they are extremely cool animals.

On my family's farm, we had goats for a time, and I often wondered what it might like be like to put a capybara among them. What a weird thought, huh?

Shepherd, Jul 17, 2012
  12. kinser

That capybara reminds me of how dogs love to be scratched on their tummies. Never knew that capybaras enjoyed that, too. Looks like they might make good pets. Edible pets, too.

Victor Leigh, Jul 21, 2012
  13. kinser

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a small turtle around the size of a quarter or a silver dollar but no larger than that as an adult. I also would like a huge salt water fish tank with seahorses coral crabs etc. No exotic pets for me.

iluvmario, Sep 3, 2012
  14. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awww. Why do you want it so small? I guess it would be cute, but don't most turtles grow up to be larger than that eventually?

Salt water tanks are amazing. <3

Jessi, Sep 3, 2012
  15. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I have only seen one in my life. It certainly would take dedication to keep it active. My son keeps fresh water fish in a 200 litre tank. The aquarium is a lovely feature in his apartment and he so dedicated to his pet fish. He is a vegan by the way and only has good thoughts for all animals.

argon_0, Sep 4, 2012
  16. kinser

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I cannot stop laughing at Alpacas, they look so ridiculous! LOL. I don't know if I would want to own one though, probably more work than I'd be interested in. I've sometimes wanted to get an Iguana or a Chinchilla, but I don't take animal deaths very well and I heard neither live very long (well, Iguanas don't live long in captivity like that).

OhioTom76, Sep 14, 2012
Ask a Question