What other animals have you always wanted to own?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by kinser, Apr 20, 2012.

1. kinser

King Browny Well-Known Member

^It also has a pouch where it keep it's young just like a kangaroo and they almost look alike. How are they related?

How many baby can that Albino Wallaby keep in her pouch and for the meantime, while having no baby, what does she hide in there?

King Browny, Apr 27, 2012
  2. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, they're definitely related. Wallabies are basically a large group name that describes any of the marsupials smaller than kangaroos and walleroos.

Only 2. The vast majority of the time, they only have one baby, but occasionally they can have twins.

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  3. kinser

Denisab82 Member

You'd probably think I am crazy, but I have always wanted to own ferrets. I know they stink terribly though, but I think they are adorable!

Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

When Wallabies don't have joeys (that's a baby Wallaby) in their pouches, they use the pouch to keep any tidbits they find along the way. Just kidding. I have no idea really. That would be a good question to ask on one of those answer sites.

Victor Leigh, Apr 28, 2012
  5. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Ok, well now that you mention it i've also wanted to own a kangaroo and a koala too. Haha!

MakingCents, Apr 29, 2012
  6. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Agreed, although I imagine it'd be like humans and only use for raising children. As in, the joey is inside to have access to the nipples for nutrients and to stay warm/safe from outside harm until they get older. In most marsupials other than kangaroos, once the young is old enough to leave, they don't go back in again. So just like human females don't stick things back into their bellies after the baby is out...or into their bras normally.... I doubt they do either.

Jessi, Apr 29, 2012
  7. kinser

There's something that I read about kangaroos and other pouched mammals which made me do quite a bit of thinking. Apparently, those little fellas are born blind and only have two working hands. Basically not fully formed yet. Then they had to find their way up the mother's body and into the pouch. All by themselves. I read that the mother doesn't give any help at all.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  8. kinser

I read that ferrets are useful for hunting rabbits but nowadays they are preferred as a pet. What part of them stinks? They are not like the skunk, right? Funny, I very much like that skunk that pesters Sylvester in Looney Tunes. I think skunk have beautiful features especially the white line at their back but why do they have to stink?

King Browny, May 2, 2012
  9. kinser

It's their defense mechanism. There is a gland near their tail which secrets an oil. It is this oil that makes a smell stick for a long time. I remember that this oil is also used to make very expensive perfumes. Actually skunks give fair warning before they spray you. When you see a skunk with its tail up like this, it's time to get away as fast as you can.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  10. kinser

Fair warning? Isn’t it that when their tail is up you have no choice but to suffer the ruthlessness of their defense? I just saw it in the movie though. Or maybe you still have the time to run but their fumes are so lethal that it still reach you and stick with you… even if you bathe.

How is it that the oil responsible for foul smell is use to make expensive perfume? Oh, I see. So the perfume’s smell will also stick for a long time, right? But then they have to kill skunks for that. :( I wonder if skunks are so pesky for them to deserve that.

King Browny, May 4, 2012
  11. kinser

I read somewhere that they can extract the oil from the skunks' gland without killing them. Yes, you are right. The oil holds on to any smell very well. So what they do is soak, say, roses in the oil and they get a perfume smelling of roses.

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2012
  12. kinser

Great! Not something like the experiment on lab rats that came to mind.

King Browny, May 7, 2012
  13. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

Since they have such an effective line of defense, their distinctive markings are a warning for animals to keep their distance. That smell does linger, holy hell! We have a lot of skunks in our area, and the whole neighborhood reeks after one spray. I only hope my dogs never get nailed - that would be a nightmare.

kinser, May 7, 2012
  14. kinser

I think the chances of a human being sprayed is much higher than that of a dog being sprayed. Unless it's a dog that had lived all its life in the city and never seen a skunk in its entire life.

Victor Leigh, May 9, 2012
  15. kinser

Is it true that their flatulence could kill? Not humans but animals. I remember watching this show, I’m just not sure if it’s on The Planet’s Funniest Animals, where a skunk sprayed on this dog and this dog seemed to get into seizure and finally stopped moving. I’m just not sure if he passed out or died because it ended on the dog being motionless.

King Browny, May 10, 2012
  16. kinser

I just did some reading on this issue. They are still studying the toxic effects of musk, which is the thing that the skunks spray. No definitive answer yet but it has always been a good policy to keep away from skunks. Humans and dogs alike.

Victor Leigh, May 10, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  17. kinser

summerRain Well-Known Member

I wanna have a pet PARROT, the ones who keeps on talking and talking.. LOL. I simply love talking to them as if they understand what I am saying. And oh! I love it when they sing. :)

summerRain, May 15, 2012
  18. kinser

It's good that parrots can only imitate human voices. If parrots can really understand what humans say, then I cringe at the very thought of parrots telling other parrots telling other parrots about what humans are saying.

Victor Leigh, May 15, 2012
  19. kinser

summerRain Well-Known Member

Hahaha I would like to see parrots spreading gossips.. :D They will definitely make my day!

summerRain, May 17, 2012
  20. kinser

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I'd like a Siamese Cat. I hear they are extremely friendly, and I am quite fond of cats as well. Not to mention that canine/feline friends are absolutely adorable! I know this lady who has both a cat and a dog, and those two are inseparable!

NewDCD, May 18, 2012
Ask a Question