What kind of food do you feed?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kinser, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

I'm a big believer in feeding my pets high-quality food. After doing some research, I found that Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul is a quality holistic dog food, and is a little more reasonably priced than some of the others. I had been feeding them Nutro, but one of my dogs was having problems with it (and after reading some reviews online, became very wary of the brand). If you're looking for a high quality food at a slightly lower price (not much, but every little bit helps), check out Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. You can find it at specialty pet stores.

kinser, Apr 16, 2012
  2. kinser

haopee Well-Known Member

It's a surprise but we don't have that in our local pet stores. The one I've seen here is Canidae, Nutro, Hollistic and Acana. If your dog still continues to exhibit problems relating to dog food, you should consider cooking home made ones that can be stored frozen for weeks. Here's a link of my good friend's blog. She cooks home made dog food for her dachshunds and they just love it. Some of her posts have ingredients and instructions on cooking it.

Here's another site for checking out dog food reviews. Dog Food Advisor

haopee, Apr 17, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

We also just cook home made foods for our dogs and they love it.
    Usually it was rice meals and we sometimes buy big bones and make soups for them.

zararina, Apr 17, 2012
  4. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Apr 17, 2012
  5. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

That's great that you make homemade food for your dogs - I'm sure mine would love that. Unfortunately for them, I have a hard enough time getting food ready for the family, LOL. I don't care for cooking (or preparing food).

kinser, Apr 18, 2012
  6. kinser

luvsdragonflies Member

My dogs are very sensitive we tried Nutro and Acana but, they were allergic to them. I give them a cross between Alto dog food because it easily digested and chicken breast with carrots.

luvsdragonflies, Apr 18, 2012
  7. kinser

stefano13 Member

Each dog as well as breed can deal differently with dog foods. There are top of the line ones with less fillers than there are those that advertise meat when in fact it is only meat byproducts. It is best that you carefully read the ingredients and choose for yourself.

stefano13, Apr 28, 2012
  8. kinser

Jalisa7 Member

Before getting my pup I had planned on feeding a completely raw diet. But I'm on a budget, and I have no space for meat now. So I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild. Last month was the high prairie formula (roasted venison & bison), this month we're trying out the pacific stream formula (mostly fish). I did a lot of research and it's the most affordable, high quality food that I can find. And, of course, she loves it too!

Jalisa7, Apr 30, 2012
  9. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We feed our boy Wellness. I like it becuase it is one protein and one grain and it does NOT contain corn. Now we do give him treats and bones and stuff that have corn and by product in it, but I make sure to give him the healthy food so that he is getting his nutrition. We also make him a snack of rice and pumpking and cooked chicken sometimes.

MakingCents, Apr 30, 2012
Ask a Question