What is your bed time routine?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

When it's bed time, Misha and I have a little routine. First, I get out two treats out for her midnight snack. Then, I throw a piece of food that bounces off the blanket she's laying underneath. She runs everywhere searching for it.

I take her outside for the last potty stop of the night. She's on leash because we have skunks in the neighborhood. The last thing I need is a dog smelling like skunk at midnight!

We get inside and Misha is about bursting off the leash. I undo the clasp and she bolts down the hall at about 100 mph because, you know, I never feed her. o_O She cannot wait until I get in the room and open the crate door so she can get those last two treats of the night. Every night it is the same thing. She runs as if there as if her life depends on it. She won't go in her crate until she has eaten both treats. Then, she gets inside, covers herself with her blanket and she is out for the night.

So, how does your dog get ready for bed time?

Melody, Jul 2, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not have a bed time routine.
    Usually they will sleep after eating their dinner. Sometimes they will just play a bit or bark in the gate before bed time. Lol

zararina, Jul 2, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Growing up our dogs would spend time with us in evenings e.g sitting on us while we watched television, played board games or read. When we as humans got tired we'd take our dogs out to toilet and then tuck them in to their dog beds. Sometimes we'd give them a little treat although we'd tend to do this before bed time. Usually after a few hours our dogs would untuck themselves and sit at the foot of one our beds and bark to be lifted on to our beds. ;) Rosie also loved sleeping with her favorite dog toy that she would fetch before bedtime.

tajnz, Jul 2, 2012
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer goes to bed much earlier than me. He falls asleep around 8 pm, sometimes even earlier, while I go to sleep around 3 am:p, so we don't have any special bed time routine. Usually, I help him jump on his sofa or on the chair that he wants to sleep on, I stroke him and that's it.
    But before going to sleep, I always check if he is okay.

claudine, Jun 30, 2013
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I generally watch TV from my couch while Mishka's on hers, sleeping, waits 'til I go to bed.Then it's up stairs saying to Mishka you first which she does and drops on the floor next to the bed with a goodnight from me it's off to Zzz land.
    Mishka has an amazing bladder and rarely requires to take a pee before bedtime. Rarely during the night does she softly whimper to tell me to let her out to do so.

argon_0, Jul 1, 2013
  6. Melody

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My daughter and I have two beds in one bedroom, we're roommates because a one-bedroom apartment is more affordable for a single mom.
    Anyway, the dog will sit by my feet in the living room while I work at my desk. When I go to bed, he follows me into the bedroom, jumps into bed with my daughter and goes to sleep. I don't know why he doesn't just go to bed when she goes to bed. Both of us have to be in the room for him to jump in bed with my daughter.
    He waits up for me and won't go to sleep without me.

ACSAPA, Jul 2, 2013
Ask a Question