What is the best tie out leash to get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

What is the best tie out leash to get? We have gotten the linked chain before but they seem to rust rather quickly. Then we got the plastic coated metal leash and my dog chewed the plastic off of that one. We recently got a coiled leash, which seems to be working okay so far, but it is plastic coated so I would expect my dog to chew that off quickly. Is there one that you recommend over another?

dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

We have nylon tie out leash and it works great, nothing is happening to it - although I'm pretty sure Homer doesn't bite it - at least I've never seen him trying. He has suspenders instead of a dog-collar, so the lash is out of his reach though.

claudine, Oct 23, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried the large plastic chains? Although I am unsure how long it would last with your dogs.

I also used the plastic coated metal cable, my dogs chew on it too. But it took them a long time to chew it up. We also covered it with electrical tape and the dogs eventually stopped doing so.

haopee, Oct 24, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

teamrose Active Member

[​IMG]

If you have a good tie down stake, I've found this leash is excellent. It's from Petco. It is safer and stronger than a chain and our dog was 70 pounds and it held beautifully.

teamrose, Oct 24, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

I would think my dog would be able to bite through a nylon leash. Also, I really want to stay away from the plastic coated leashes for the reason that she chews it all apart. I am not sure what to do besides getting the metal chained leash, that always rusts. I suppose replacing it every 2 months isn't the worst thing in the world.

dashboardc33, Oct 31, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Kind of hard for me to say because I don't chain my dogs when they are at home. I use high fences to keep them in instead. So the leash is only used when taking them out for walks. At one time, I used the webbing type that goes round the chest instead of the throat. However it wasn't necessary. Even when I use a stainless steel choke-type leash, my dogs don't pull on the chain when I take them out.

Victor Leigh, Nov 1, 2012
Ask a Question