What dog should i get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ravi, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ravi

ravi New Member

I have a 3 year old brother and want to get an appropriate dog for that. a dog thats kinda of small and what are the costs for the type of dog?

ravi, Dec 27, 2011
  2. ravi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I would recommend a cocker spaniel. They are small,but not to small, a good breed, pretty good temperment. You can't go wrong with going to the local humane society or animal shelter and picking out a mixed breed. It will be cheaper and you can maybe find a dog that has been in a foster home before so that people can tell you how he's acted in a home.

MakingCents, Dec 28, 2011
  3. ravi

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that getting a dog in a shelter could be a good idea. :)
    I had found a site that could give you good ideas what breed to get for families with children.
    Dogs good with kids.

zararina, Dec 28, 2011
  4. ravi

amy005 Well-Known Member

Dachshunds would be good to have with a 3 year old or even a bichon. My dog is a mix between the two and he gets along well with my 3 nieces. One is 3, one is 5 and the youngest is almost 2. Although I would probably lean more towards the dachshund since they seem to be better tempered.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
  5. ravi

The main thing is to make sure you introduce your child to the dog a few times before you agree to make the dog a permanent member of your family.

MakingCents, Dec 28, 2011
  6. ravi

King Browny Well-Known Member

Do you really prefer a small dog? Because a collie is really gentle with kids. If you know Lassie (a collie) you would agree with me. The Golden and Labrador Retriever are good with children as well. I have a Golden Retriever and I can’t even remember the last time that she was angry. She’s my soft cuddle and sweet snuggle.

Or if you want it really petite, MakingCents suggested the cocker spaniel. I read that they are docile pets. A beagle is nice with kids, too. Take Snoopy for example. :D

King Browny, Dec 29, 2011
  7. ravi

labs are good with children but they are big. Sometimes they grow from 80-100 pounds so they wil lmost likely be bigger than your kids! They are gentle and great family dogs then.

MakingCents, Dec 30, 2011
  8. ravi

King Browny Well-Known Member

Kids will grow, too. :D And if they would acquire pups then they can grow together. The labs will just grow faster though. :p

King Browny, Dec 30, 2011
  9. ravi

yes the labs will most definitely grow faster. I also don't know the age of the kids. You dont' want a dog that is a large puppy that might accidentally hurt a baby if it plays too rough, likewise you don't want a dog that's too small if you have toodlers or young kids that could hurt it by playing too rough the other way.

MakingCents, Dec 30, 2011
  10. ravi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

For a three-year-old I would recommend dogs breed which are gentle and very tolerant of manhandling. One breed that comes to mind is the Golden Retriever. They are very good at making like a piece of furry rug which the kids can pull any which way they like.

Victor Leigh, Jan 1, 2012
Ask a Question