What colour is my dog seeing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

So today I am wearing a really pretty blouse and again I am home with my girls. Over the years I have heard that dogs don't see in colour and only recently I started to do a little more reading on the subject. After just a little bit of reading, I am still a little confused. Can my dogs tell that I wearing a red blouse with three shades of blue? How can it be explained simply?

Winterybella, Apr 22, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

As far as I know dogs have a very limited sense of sight when it comes to colors, but scientists say that they can see blue, yellow and green. The other day i was reading something very interesting tho :) Apparently there is an animal out there who can perceive colors we can't even dream of... kinda helped me understand a bit better how dogs see colors, check it out: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

Trellum, Apr 22, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Wow, the Mantis Shrimp! The things you learn around here. It's time like these I want my son to be on these forums. The knowledge you gain is amazing. Thanks a million for that bit of education. When I was child I have vague memories of hearing that dogs only saw in black and white. I have long known it is a myth but still I never really studied the subject in it's entirety.

Winterybella, Apr 23, 2015
  4. Winterybella

I'm glad you found that interesting :) I found it super interesting too and that is why I wanted to share it with you! It's just amazing to think we are missing on so many colors!!!! After reading it I started wondering... what other colors could we be missing? Must be amazing to be a shrimp mantis, I mean, our dogs don't imagine what colors they're missing, but we do! Now that shrimp mantis got to have a very special view of the world... Mind blowing :) !!!!!

Trellum, Apr 23, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. Winterybella

I agree it was mind blowing. It leaves me in awe at "creation" if you will and what's more for someone like me who might be slow at grasping the science of it all, it was presented in a way that even a child could understand. Very appealing. It's a great piece. Now I can speak with authority about the dog's vision and then introduce people to the Mantis Shrimp. I'm becoming a real scholar here:).

6. Winterybella

Some of that guy's comics are very random, others like this one are a real jewel full of a lot knowledge :) He creates a lot educational materials too, mostly grammar and this kind of things. Here is another great one: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/red_velvet_mite This one might not be so fascinating or mind blowing, but I found it so interesting! I've seen those red mites on my peppermint :p So...this has made me look at them under a different light ;)

Trellum, Apr 23, 2015
  7. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, mantis shrimp are amazing!:D Thank you for sharing this link.
    As for dogs, I'm pretty sure my Homer can see the difference between blue, green and mint. He thinks all mint things are his. I'm not joking. He keeps stealing mint blankets and towels.

claudine, Apr 23, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Love is my favourite subject although it often saddens me but again the read was amazing. Thank you. The love that never saddens me is the of my girls..Ginger, Zola, Remy and Reba in living colour.

9. Winterybella

I know what you mean, the love from others, specially ''men'' most of the times saddens me as well. There is something about men that has always sadden me, it's like they can't help to open their mouth and say something hurtful even if they don't mean to. The purest form of love I've ever received has been from my dogs too.

Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Lol, I wonder what he thinks when he sees them? I've my reservations when it comes to mint color, my boyfriend seems to hate it (something to do with his ex I guess). I love the way mint nail polish looks on my nails :) I don't like that color in clothes or walls tho.

Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
  11. Winterybella

My boyfriend hates mint too, because it reminds him of doctors and hospitals.
    When Homer was a puppy, my mom gave him a super soft, mint blanket. He still has it and always sleeps on it. I'm pretty sure all mint things remind him of that favorite blanket:)

claudine, Apr 24, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Awww, that is so cute!!!!! You are right, that is probably the reason why he likes all minty things ;) A soft mint blanket sounds like a great reason to love mint colored things, hahahaha! Specially for a doggy :)

Trellum, Apr 25, 2015
  13. Winterybella

Does Frida have a favorite blanket? If yes, what color is it? We keep buying Homer mint things, because he seems to really like them. Currently, he has two mint blankets and a few matching pillows:) The walls in his room are painted mint green, too.

claudine, Apr 28, 2015
  14. Winterybella

She has a favorite blanket, I think. It's grey :p It's rat grey, lol. Maybe it reminds her of her both beloved and hated rats? Because you know that schnauzers live to catch their next rat ;) That is so sweet, he must be such a happy little doggy!

Trellum, Apr 28, 2015
  15. Winterybella

I'm sure it reminds her of rats;) Terriers like chasing small creatures too. Homer has never seen a rat, but he often tries to catch insects.
    Grey is a lovely color, it's much prettier than mint!

claudine, Apr 29, 2015
  16. Winterybella

I see I have missed out on a lot of coloured conversation:). Boyfriends liking mint and Homer and Freda right there in the mix of things:). This morning I left my girls outside longer than usual. I have been doing that a lot recently in the absence of their walks which have been on the back burner for way too long. Anyway, by the time they come in I suspect they are not recognizing any colour. They are usually knocked out with exhaustion.

Winterybella, Apr 29, 2015
  17. Winterybella

Hahahahaha, sorry! When me and clauds get talking, we often talk about all sorts of things linked to our pets and sometimes even our guys :p Good for you and them, exercise is great for stress ;) It helps you sleep great, today I plan to do the same and exercise for at least 40 minutes :) I'll knock myself out :p Tomorrow I might be hitting the park with Frida.

Trellum, Apr 29, 2015
  18. Winterybella

I totally agree with you, mint is an ugly color, specially for fabric and buildings! I have no clothes in that color, but I must admit I do like the way mint nail polish looks :p I once saw a mint colored dog sweater, and I actually thought it'd look nice on a small dog, but not sure if it'd look good on a bigger dog. Grey is a more neutral color :)

Trellum, Apr 29, 2015
  19. Winterybella

A tiny, mint colored dog sweater sounds like something perfect for Homer. I think there is a big chance he'd agree to wear it, lol:) I kind of like mint accessories and small things, but I would never buy myself mint clothes.

claudine, Apr 29, 2015
  20. Winterybella

Sounds good guys and all. I want to get back to walking my dogs. It's good therapy. When the wedding bells ring for you we will have or very own Forum Double wedding and I am rooting for Homer, Freda, Zola, Remy, Ginger and Reba in the bridal party and I recommend mint. I have nominated myself the resident Fashionista with more than 20 years in the clothing business. Seriously though, I think all you ladies would look great in mint and the pets will love it I assure you.

Winterybella, Apr 29, 2015
Ask a Question